Oil Burner Drinking Oil

dahamster

:confused: Hi,

I am in the process of finishing up a new house build with under floor heating downstairs and rads upstairs. I have the heating on for about six hours per day on three runs for the ufh and three hours for the rads to try and dry out the house. I got 300 euro worth of oil on 18 oct and now i have to get another lot already. I have never had oil heating before but this seems excessive and will break me if it keeps up:D. It this normal with the initialisation of the ufh as i was led to believe that the consumption wouldn't be overly more than with all rads. I have a firebird heatpac 90/120 with reillo burner and 0.83GPH nozzle?

Any advice would be appreciated as if this keeps up there'll be no prezzies for the kids at christmas.

Dahamster.

You have the boiler on too long, 6 hours a day sounds excessive- it shouldn't take that long for the slab to heat up. Does the level of heat seem excessive/ opressive?

No the temperature is fine, The system is supposed to run continuously so god help me if i had that going. i was wondering if the nozzle size is too large as 0.83gph = 3.15 litres per hour and 6hours by 22 days is 415 litres of oil but that would be on the basis that the burners are on continuously!

dahamster said:
No the temperature is fine, The system is supposed to run continuously so god help me if i had that going. i was wondering if the nozzle size is too large as 0.83gph = 3.15 litres per hour and 6hours by 22 days is 415 litres of oil but that would be on the basis that the burners are on continuously!
The burner may be switched on continuously, but shouldn't run continuously. The burner should cut out once the designated temperature in the room is reached. Can you ask your installer/ plumber to examine the room stats/ other boiler controls? A standard oil fired rad system wouldn't be expected to burn much more than 2000- 2500 litres in a year, all dependant on house size, occupancy etc. You say your house is drying out, this would certainly contribute to additional oil consumption. Perhaps you could consider running a dehumidifier also, this will take the moisture vapour out of the air and prevent it from being reabsorbed back into the structure. however I would take it easy on heat and dehumidifier- too rapid a dry out and you could cause any timber elements to warp/ check etc. Any drying out should be gentle and consistent.

You are running a central heating system on 31 kw per hour ?!
Get a heating engeneer in. And get a proper boiler , see http://www.sedbuk.com/ .Check the performance of the old banger and compare it with the better condensing ones.The combination of UFH and rads is technically o.k. but not much cheaper compared to having the entire system running on low temperature. There is more to a good performance than the size of the nozzle ....

Carpenter said:
Any drying out should be gentle and consistent.
Yeah - and you need to experience those creaks and groans (especially at night) of a new house as it dries out and settles in over the first few months at least once in your life. It's a bit of a rite of passage! :)

For oil boiler optimisation check the cracks at:
http://www.heizungsbetrieb.de/ (press the flag symbol for "english" )
The boiler should run continously for the entire time during which there is a heating demand,sorry Carpenter. The more stops it has the more inefficient it is. Cooling down and restarting will pack a lot of soot onto the plates making it's performance even worse.
If it is a non modulating boiler then one won't get away without interuptions, however. But the less the better. Putting in a smaller nozzle might help, but leave that to the manufacturer, their reps or a heating engeneer.You could loose the home insurance and more.

Back