North Strand, Dublin 3

eire_girl

Hello,

I started looking around for a property to buy, and I've seen a few houses in North Strand for reasonable prices. I am wondering who can give me some candid information about living in that area.

Thanks!

If you are not familiar with an area then you really must spend several hours over a few days wandering around the area, shopping in local shops, sitting in a cafe/pub.

Spending tens of thousand of Euros to live in an area without previously spending time and effort investigating that area would be folly.

I have my opinion of the area but I wouldn't like to offend anyone from there. At least it's a short walk to city-centre.

Hello oldnick,

Yes, my research on the area will involve more than asking people on this board.
Asking locals is part of my research but, I don't have any friends living around that area and I am looking for a local's point of view and living experience.

Thanks for your reply, it does say a lot.

Cheers, :)

eire girl...
Just read the article that pugwall linked ...
I feel a bit guilty about my insinuation regarding North Strand. I must be like one of Roisin Ingle's friends who looked askance when she said she was living there !

I don't like the area - though it borders Fairview which is not bad with many shops and of course the green.
I'm not anti-Northside. I like Phibsboro and especially the Stoneybatter area which I think is getting better and trendier, which will further benefit from the large new DIT campus at Grangegorman. And close to LUAS or 15-20 mins walk to city-centre. Not far from Phoenix Park.

If I were the OP, I would take a punt on firing off an e-mail to Roisín Ingle, her email is published in the article.

I'd address it from the point of view of "how did your preconceptions match up to the reality of living there" ? It may depend on what street you're looking at. If you're at the Five Lamps end, then Fairview Park isn't the amenity it could be if you're down near Annesley Bridge.

Hello all,

thank you for the replies and the link to the article, it is very helpful. I may contact the writer Roisin. This is one of the areas I am looking into for a home.

Cheers

Hi there, this might be a little late ... I've lived in North Strand for nearly 10 years and here's how I see the pros and cons:

Pros:
Good sense of community, there's a mix of long term residents who in general are thoroughly decent people and professionals who have bought in the last 15 years or so.

Lots of good shops and places to eat - including a great Italian restaurant and possibly the best Japanese food in Dublin, Cusacks is also a very nice pub, with nice people.

Lots of amenities close by - Dollymount beach, parks etc.

Obviously it's very close to town, croker, the point etc.

You never have to wait more than 2 mins for a bus/taxi!

Good options for schools

Cons
Yes, there are a few knacks/cheeky kids around, most of them are harmless, that said, I've never had any issues.

Back