no claims bonus

lorr01

could anyone please help me on this. i am just curious as i was in a car crash in 05 and am still having treatment and it wasnt my fauly was involved in a hit and run and i am not back driving yet. i have about 7 yrs no claims bonus's. is it true that if you do not go back driving within a certain number of years that you lose all your no claims bonus?. and if so is there any way that you would ever get them back when the accident wasnt even your fault.my dad alos has the same ins company of me so if i went under him as named driver would that protect them even though i had my own insurance in my own car. i find it all very unfair, to the innocent party..any comments i would appreciate

thank you

I would advise you to get on to whoever you were insured with and ask them. they may agree to allow your bonus when you get back on the road especially under your circumstances. If they do (and it boils down to how sympathetic they are and who you get on the phone)make sure to get a name and write down time and date etc.
Other companies won't honour it but at least you might have a chance when you start driving again.

You can accrue no claims bonus once you have insurance - no matter how much or little you drive! Might be worth investigating how much a year's TP insurance would cost (although I'd tend to agree that it may be considered harsh to negate someone's NCB due to medical reasons such as yours)...

hi ya

thank you very much for getting back to me. i rang my insurance and explained the story with them and she told me that i have to get a car back on the road and insured again before july 07 or i lose my 7 years no claims bonus. she not very helpful or sympathetic towards me and i 5 years with the insurance company.so looked up insurance costs and before my crash i was paying €330 fully comp. with my no claims bonus for all the years and if i wait til im fit to go back driveing i lose my ncb and my insurance goes up to roughly €850. and i have to start all over again, she told me with my no claim bonus, she told me that it not a very big deal but i think €00 extra is a very big deal!!!!
am very distressed over it as i feel im being punished now for what the driver who ran into me did and then left me on side of road.. it just dosent seem very fair..
may run it all by my solicitor and see what he thinks i shud do, maybe cud send the extra €300 to the other driver ta pay for me!!!!!

No problem...

I reckon there may be a case for compensation for the increase in your insurance costs - but as you say you need to talk to a solicitor!

The other option is to write into the head of customer services and explain your situation (stating that this issue is causing you much stress on top of everything else), and you might get lucky!

A no claims bonus is normally active for only two years for when your insurance has ceased.

Its a pity you cancelled your insurance, I know this is a bit late, but you could have suspended your insurance which basicly means your car is still insured for fire & theft, but not for road cover, This would greatly reduce your cost, prob to €150/€175, and you would get to keep your NCB as you still (technically) hold insurance.
Maybe you should ring your insurance company & ask if this can still be done??

Alternatively, before your no claims runs out in july, get insurance on a fictious car (small engine as possible ) for basic third party , no fire and theft. That is your cheapest option.

Alternatively, before your no claims runs out in july, get insurance on a fictious car (small engine as possible ) for basic third party , no fire and theft. That is your cheapest option.

Nice idea but you can only insure something you own & have an interest in, what you're suggesting is fraud.

No problem...

I reckon there may be a case for compensation for the increase in your insurance costs - but as you say you need to talk to a solicitor!

The other option is to write into the head of customer services and explain your situation (stating that this issue is causing you much stress on top of everything else), and you might get lucky!
oka thank you, i will try that or i could get my solcitor to write to them altogether, it would be better coming form him!!!

Its a pity you cancelled your insurance, I know this is a bit late, but you could have suspended your insurance which basicly means your car is still insured for fire & theft, but not for road cover, This would greatly reduce your cost, prob to €150/€175, and you would get to keep your NCB as you still (technically) hold insurance.
Maybe you should ring your insurance company & ask if this can still be done??
hi ya
thank you for your advice, i just find it very bad form to cancel all my no claims bonus as i'lll end up paying an extra €350 eur on top of what i wa paying, maybe i could get the guilty party to pay for it!!!. i;ll have to chat my solicitor about it

Back