Nissan Almera timing chain

Hi, My Nissan is going in for the twelve time this year. Found this out after i bought it!!!!! My car will suddenly lose power and then kangeroo as though out of petrol and then engine management light comes on. It will go if i manage to pick up speed and put it into third gear etc. I have taken it back to Nissan dealers for third time today. Asked them to let me look at the timing chain - I only saw one chain i think and he said it is not out only protruding 8mm. I have now been told there is a primary and secondary chain. Could that mean that i was only shown one? and not told about the other and that could be out?? Very confused as i am not sure this car will ever be fixed i only bought it 25th July 07 - 21,500 on clock. If i cannot get this car working i will have to rent out my house as cannot afford new one unless i save some serious cash!. Please someone help.

hi can someone help me out, i feel im getting messed around, i have a 01 nissan almera 1.5 cc my engine management light came on brought it to a mechanic he used the diagnostic on it and it came up a lamba sensor so got it fixed came back on but car was driving fine, one day got in and every time i get to 2000 revs on the clock it starts to chuck and splutter so once again went to the mechanic he said i timing chain so went to get a second opinion he checked said no to timing chain but the crank shaft sensor, then once again went to another and he said i dont have a timing chain i have a timing belt, and priced timing chain just in case one place told me 1000 euro another told me 400 euro please someone help me :)

Hi all,

Thought id better put something back into this forum as it helped me alot..i have a 2001 1.8 nissan Almera with 78000 on clock, with all the same problems ie, juddering, rev counter erratic, misfiring when cold and finally engine management light on with fault codes telling me that the cam sensor and or crank sensor was inop.i changed coil packs, spark plugs, sensors, all with no fix...did some reading up and looked in the timing chain, and when i looked through the oil filler cap i could actually lift the chain slightly off the cam spockets. So £120 for the kit, and got the cd rom manual from an auction website, and was a real pain of a job, as you have to take the sump off and remove and engine mount,(but managed not to take the exhaust off like it says in manual!) but i managed to do it, and i have done about 5k in it since then and its not missed a beat...i only did it myself as the cost of a garage or nissan to do it would have been worth more than the car!!..once the chain had been removed we found it 3 links longer than the new one (about 1 inch), hence the misfire!!..im actually surprised the car was still running with the old chain!!

so, it is possible, with a little hard work to do it, and i may have another 10 yrs out of the old nissan yet!!!..now at 82000 its barely run in!!

hope this helps

Back