Newer Car with High mileage or older car with fewer?

naomhbooboo

Hi I was wondering can anybody help me with this. I am looking to buy a Suzuki Swift. I have seen two. Both from main dealers. Come fully serviced etc. My quandary is one is a 201 with less than 20,000 km on the clock. The other one is a hybrid former Rental car with 67 000km and year 2022.
Which is the better buy? the younger car with more km or the older with very few km? both are the same price.
I know nothing about cars so any advice would be welcome

Agree,

The smarter choice is the 201.

Also, would not be at all surprised if the rental had some cosmetic paint work to keep it looking fresh for rentals

Traditionally the big worry with ex rentals is that the clutch and gearbox would be ruined by American tourists unused to manuals. This doesn't apply to a hybrid with an auto box. Other than that, it's just that rentals can have had a hard life with lots of abuse and potentially a few scrapes along the way.

In my opinion, lower mileage is usually the way to go.

Yes some bit of benefit it being automatic from the tourist point of view! I agree I'd go with the lower mileage even without the rental situation as realistically that is more like the proper age of the working parts. I did once though buy an ex commercial reps car and it had highish mileage for a 2 yr old car, I knew at the time though that my annual mileage was lower than average so that within a couple of years I was back to average mileage for that car should I have been trading or selling it. Actually kept it until it gave up 16 yrs later, loved that car! :confused:

Definitely the older car with low mileage - wouldn't be surprised if it had only had one careful mature owner.

Thank you for all your replies. seems unanimous that the older car is the way to go.
Yes some bit of benefit it being automatic from the tourist point of view! I agree I'd go with the lower mileage even without the rental situation as realistically that is more like the proper age of the working parts. I did once though buy an ex commercial reps car and it had highish mileage for a 2 yr old car, I knew at the time though that my annual mileage was lower than average so that within a couple of years I was back to average mileage for that car should I have been trading or selling it. Actually kept it until it gave up 16 yrs later, loved that car! :confused:
I did think about this as i would say I would only be putting about 6000/7000 km on it a year.

I forget who it was but a retired British Formula One driver was once asked what was the fastest car in the world and without a pause he answered "A rental car".

Our 2nd last car (Ford Focus) was an ex rental. We got 12 more years good driving with just a yearly service. It was the one car I missed when we traded it in for a new Focus. I wish I never had set eyes on the new Focus with clutch, gearbox, electronic card misfunctions and a boot that keeps opening itself whenever it rains .

We don't know the price for each of the Suzuki cars mentioned. That would have a bearing on any rational advice.

I forget who it was but a retired British Formula One driver was once asked what was the fastest car in the world and without a pause he answered "A rental car".
I've heard that one as "a rental car driven in reverse"

Back