New Oven Problem

Ciadan

Had a new double oven fitted today. Haven't cooked anything in it yet, but as per instructions, heated up both ovens for a while. The outer glass on the doors got very hot, and once I switched it off and the cooling fan went off, the control panel on top got very hot too. Two hours after turning it off, I checked it before going to bed, and the doors & control panel were still warm and even the press overhead (housing the microwave) was warm.

What are my rights? I'm sick with nerves at the thought of having to go to the shop about this.

Did the cooling fan go off as soon as you switched it off or later? Did you just turn off the oven or turn it off at the wall switch?

I just turned it off using the control knows and the cooling fan continued to run for a while. Two hours later I switched it off at the wall. Actually now that I think about it, the ovens were still a little warm at that stage.

Don't know so! When I got my oven first I made the mistake of turning it off at the wall and ended up burning the knobs on control panel because of course the cooling fan was knocked off then before it should be.

The outside glass of my oven door would always be hot but it's not very new, maybe newer ones stay cool. I actually treat the press over the cooker like a hotpress as it's always warm, I keep teatowels there and put baking tins in there to make sure they dry fully.

Don't know so! When I got my oven first I made the mistake of turning it off at the wall and ended up burning the knobs on control panel because of course the cooling fan was knocked off then before it should be.

The outside glass of my oven door would always be hot but it's not very new, maybe newer ones stay cool. I actually treat the press over the cooker like a hotpress as it's always warm, I keep teatowels there and put baking tins in there to make sure they dry fully.
Thanks for your reply.

Does the company that manufactured your oven have a customer helpline you could ring? They may well be able to put your mind at ease.

The cooling fan is running for a reason, best not switch off the power while it's running.

What make/ model of oven is it?

The cooling fan is running for a reason, best not switch off the power while it's running.

What make/ model of oven is it?

There's in general no reason to switch off the power for hobs or ovens, that's what the controls on the appliances or for. The power savings are negligible.

Back