New Laptop or Desktop?

roker

My laptop has just give up. I am told that there is an inherent life span designed in to all laptops so I am thinking of going back to a desktop, at least I get better reliability and can replace part or upgrade. I have my mobile phone and tablet if I want to be portable. Any advice please

Depends if you see yourself travelling with it. Obviously desktop isn't going to cut it there. I find it handy having laptop if you connect it to TV. My laptop is about four years old at moment. desktop just feels awkward and clunky to me.

Thanks, I would keep backups, by my reckoning you have only a year left. If I wanted to connect to my TV could I not use the WiFi, as all TVs are smart now?

Last edited:
My Dell Dimension 5150 Desktop is now 10 years old so I'm kinda in the same boat as you roker except you have been on a Laptop.

I'm finding it hard to decide myself -should I switch to Laptop -stay with Desktop or even get both. Maybe get a Laptop and see how I get on - would probably discover I don't need the Desktop.

Desktop's are better built and last longer and to state the obvious are not as portable and yet I still keep thinking to myself I'll go out and get a new shiny touchscreen 4K P.C. and maybe get 10 years out of that.

If I wanted to connect to my TV could I not use the WiFi, as all TVs are smart now?

Very much depends on the TV. We have two Walker brand TVs and neither are "smart", so HDMI is how I connect up. That's smart enough for me :)

My Dell M6300 is 13 years old and still going strong. I don't use it outside the home so that may have helped it to live as long as it has thus far.

I think the higher end spec laptops are designed well enough to last for years. Cheaper laptops won't last the course.

I've just invested in a Dell M6700 - just becuase I need a stronger CPU, more RAm and more storage. I still think my M6300 will last a good few years yet.

My laptop is a high end HP 17 in Pavilion, Never left it switched on unnecessary and I got 5 years out of it. The repair shop got it working again he heated a chip up to repair the soldier joints which lasted 5 weeks, if this had been a desktop I could have changed the PCB. He said they are meant to fail likes this over time.

I've a 5 year old laptop and never had an issue with it. In fairness, they get more battering then a desktop due to being carried around and left lying around. as for an inherent lifespan, to some degree, everything has planned obsolescence built in to some degree.

I think you are asking the wrong question though, you should be asking what are you going to use the PC for. if it is for work and you need to sit at a desk and don't need to travel with a computer then consider a desktop, if you are looking at surfing the internet or using it whilst lounged on the couch or if you need it on the move, then a laptop is the choice

I had a dell latitude 1525 last over 7 years even after being dropped off the arm of the couch several time.

Laptop all the way.

had a HP 15.6" pavillion laptop from 2003 that replaced my desktop, that is still going and used by the OH, I have a nice Lenovo 14" and would never go back to a desktop.

Back