New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

Went to see Hamilton Park also and was impressed with quality of house. Also impressed with overall look of estate. If you're in the market for a 3bed and dont want to do much work, i can understand interest to some extent. We are in market for a 4bed as outgrown our 3bed (growing family) however i was not impressed with a few things. Firstly, very few detached 4beds which is crazy as there is huge demand in area due to shortage as every viewing we go to are thronged. Also they are asking crazy prices for those particular ones. We considered a 4 bed semi but for the price, and aspect we would b getting the swift which is our current 3bed with a converted attic. Would b pointless paying 100k extra for that! Was also shocked 4people bought the Lavery a 4bed semi facing the green for 550k! Also the risk you take with a new build is not knowing what area will be like in 10years, look at Fernleigh and Annfield, we have friends desperate to leave there. My advice would be to consider it carefully, look around at the 2nd hand properties first to compare, there is great value in some of the nicer estate even if they need work (ours doesnt!) Something to be said about a well established estate with a mix of age profiles. However, having said that they are selling so maybe i'm only one not getting it!!

Ladybird, what estate are you in? What would you recommend in the 2nd hand market in the castleknock carpenstown area in around the same price range as Hamilton park?

Ladybird.Where is your house. Would also be interested as found living space in Hamilton very small due to bigger toilets and utility.Also aspect of most houses are east or west facing.

As another said - all new estates have a social housing element. It's been around 15 or 20 years.

Not sure comparisons with Annfield or Fernleigh are correct given they were high unit developments with much more apartments and duplexes. Not sure there are any 4 bed houses in there except terraced ones.

With all the new builds we saw most were semi d or terraced, even bracken. Don't think many detached houses are being built in new estates any more. We haven't seen any really.

Is it true 400 people turned up yesterday??

The 2_laverys facing the green were 505k not 550 k. The laverys that are not facing the green were 490k.

Maybe i misheard the sales lady i met but i did write it down in front her which she didn't correct. But even so half a million for a semi d seems a lot. It is correct annfield and Fernleigh are higher density but the 3families i know who bought there all bought 3beds and intended to stay longterm but they say a lot is rented and want out. They all said they would never buy in a new estate again due to lack of foresight available. My estate is closer to Scoil Thomais, don't want to name here as may seem like i'm pitching. Although we're close to sale agreed. There are often houses for sale in it, well established, rented houses being sold which is great for others who have been here from beginning. Great community spirit, know all my neighbours, only reason i'm going is we need a 4 bed. Extending isn't an option as we did already but regretfully didnt add a 4th bedroom before number 3 arrived. I do hope Hamilton Park is successful as its success will bounce off everyone in Carpenterstown. Very glad to see there is less density.

Ladybird, good points about established estates and knowing what you are getting. That said, I don't think you will get many renters in new estates where the houses are a minimum of €400K.

I think many people selling 3 and 4 beds in the area probably wish they had sold before Hamilton went on sale in fairness. The prices peaked in May/June and now the new regulation has taken the wind out. Some second hand houses in nice settled estates are taking over 6 months to sell, Cherry - 9 months and counting, Oaktree 6, Talbot even more..... The question is why? If there are over 40 people who bought in the same estate, 1 mile away, in a weekend (Of all ages I must say) then why didnt they go for the mature houses on offer - im sure they all viewed them as we did? Some were obviously overpriced (But would have sold easily last year pre 20% rules) and some just needed too much work. We looked at 3-5 beds locally and they needed work, extending, kitchens, bathrooms, windows, landscaping - huge money to get into shape and the same price as Hamilton to buy. We would have really liked some of these estates but the houses left us underwhelmed unfortunately.

There are plenty of 3 and 4 bed Semi ds all over Dublin well in excess of 500k that arent 150sqm, very well stocked and finished and A energy rated. If you are looking for a nice 4 bed detached house under 500k I would suggest a change of location as I dont think I have come across any in this area? We even looked at Dunboyne and many detached 4 beds were over 550k.

The smallest unit in Hamilton is 112msq - a 3 bed house. The smallest in Fernleigh is a 50msq 1 bed apartment - which there are quite a few of, Annfield its an 85sqm 2 bed apartment (More than any other unit type). Its not at all fair to compare them in rental terms when apartments are by far the majority in the other two estates mentioned. Really the largest semi d in Annfield (3 bed) is smaller than the smallest semi d (3 bed) in Hamilton. Apartment/mixed complexes run at a 50% rental generally. Housing estates are nothing like that.

There are often houses for sale in it, well established, rented houses being sold which is great for others who have been here from beginning. .
Just out of interest - In a well settled area you expect little sales and very few rentals. Not doubting that its a nice area but it seems a little contradictory.

As taytoman said, there has to be a yield to a landlord if they are buying somewhere as an investment to rent out. Spending 400k (Including 80k cash deposit) is just out of the question en mass today. As for spending 500-600k as some in Hamilton were - it just wont happen. Most people at the viewing we were at were trading up, down or young families. Why buy a house where the rent charged and repayments are the same? House equity isnt exactly stable, capital gains loopholes gone etc... its not an investors market. There is no gain there. Annfield and Fernleigh were built in the days of 100% mortgages and interest only repayments for investor mortgages. I think those days are long gone.

Each place is different - I think the real key is that the "area" is settled. This isnt an "Ongar" style development - just a new estate in a very settled area.

Good summary Bobsworth. My own (amateur)sense is that prices in Castleknock/ Carpenterstown in the "mid market"range have come down about 10% or more

It is a good summary Bobsworth and all your points we have considered and even discussed. As i said we looked at Hamilton ourselves as liked look of estate and even considered semi d as all detached were gone but for house we wanted the Lavery the aspect was northfacing. Not going to swap a lovely 3bed for that for 100k. We are still looking at detached and something will come up even if it does need work, in long run we consider it a better jump for us. Fact they are dropping hopefully will work in our favour, bidding at moment on that basis.

Good summary Bobsworth. My own (amateur)sense is that prices in Castleknock/ Carpenterstown in the "mid market"range have come down about 10% or more

Thanks all. You are correct taytoman and not in any amateur sense, the market is fairly transparent at any current time i guess its the future moves that have to be foreseen.

Asking prices are coming down 6-12% or so in many parts of Dublin, from a peak in maybe April or May, however generally only on houses that need some level of modernisation. On turnkey properties prices are holding or rising (We have been outbid for a number of houses by 5-even 15% above asking price as recently as August) unless they were incorrectly priced in the first place. There are a number of 4 and 5 beds with agents locally that havent come down enough but were priced Jan/Feb time when 10% deposit was needed. Sale prices did inflate up to June last and then tailed off a bit. There was a nice house in Delwood that went about 10% above asking (500k) in July/aug though, other nice ones we looked at earlier in the year are the same now appearing on the register and sold above asking. The ones dropping need maybe 30k or more spent on kitchen, bathroom, floor etc... because that 30k people may have had is now in the deposit they are just less desirable. It wont last though.

I do fully believe there wont be a better time to buy in the next 3-5 years than in the next 6 months, barring another 2008 :) Real demand is high, however those who had a deposit for a 400-500k house (Fairly normal dublin suburb price) now need 30k or so more. That will take 12-24 months depending on income at least to save. If you consider those people were out of the mortgage approval running from Feb then in Feb 16 (Probably more like May) the market will pick up again and asking prices will rise. Regardless of anything else there is a supply and demand issue in Dublin in particular and even my own basic enough economics knowledge tells me that its only a matter of time.

The regulation in Feb definitely took the "heat" out of the market, however that is only temporary - when the people who still want to buy catch up in savings terms for their deposits it will be back on.

It is a good summary Bobsworth and all your points we have considered and even discussed. As i said we looked at Hamilton ourselves as liked look of estate and even considered semi d as all detached were gone but for house we wanted the Lavery the aspect was northfacing. Not going to swap a lovely 3bed for that for 100k. We are still looking at detached and something will come up even if it does need work, in long run we consider it a better jump for us. Fact they are dropping hopefully will work in our favour, bidding at moment on that basis.

Have to agree with you on the garden aspect. Its odd they developed it like that. Phase 2 will be different so maybe worth a look then, there is no north facing space left after all. As above, now is the time to buy in many ways, but if trading up etc.. its a bit of a double edged sword. I dont see prices dropping any further than would normally be expected seasonally. The market usually shuts down for christmas almost and I think there will be a package in some way for first time buyers or something in the budget that will probably lead to more approvals being granted early next year. Property in Ireland is almost wholly based on sentiment - if the Indo has a front page "Property prices due to surge" then people go crazy buying it, which is not a great plan..... equally if there is negative commentary you get an equal and opposite reaction. Its a very tough game to play I find when buying a family home, I think the mantra should be to buy what is best for you. At the moment because prices have stalled you can get a 500k house maybe with a 475k offer, a few new headlines post budget that are positive and that 500k house will cost you 525k.

Timely or what?? As per previous post - I dont think the current correction in the market will last - may well have been shorter than anticipated altogether!

From RTE just now:

New figures from the Central Statistics Office show that residential property prices rose by 2.3% nationwide in August from July.

This unexpected increase marked the biggest rise since last October .

Residential property prices were up 9.5% on an annual basis.

The CSO said that Dublin residential property prices rose by 2.8% last month, which means that Dublin property prices are 8.2% higher than the same time last year.

Today's figures show that Dublin house prices rose by 3% in August whilst Dublin apartment prices inched 0.3% higher.

These figures may be slightly out of date as they reflect transactions done several months ago(?). Report in Irish Times today says asking prices in Dublin on Myhome website in Q3 2015 went down 0.1%

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 3bed detached? There is 2 of them left and both have north facing gardens with one of them right at the front of the estate.

...Just out of interest - In a well settled area you expect little sales and very few rentals. Not doubting that its a nice area but it seems a little contradictory.

As taytoman said, there has to be a yield to a landlord if they are buying somewhere as an investment to rent out. ...

I know of quote a few houses in the area which have been rented from new. They seem to be bought by old cash rich buyers, which use them as a pension/investment. All over the area there are rentals of all shapes and sizes, from small apartments to 4 and 5 bed houses. Some of this is obviously social. But there's a lot of professionals, and international families which move with the job with all the big companies in the area, (or dublin in general). I know a few high income families which are renting in Ireland for years but own other properties in other countries.

Hi Pauric. I've been lurking on this post for ages. Like most people posting, we are in the area and thinking about moving but didn't jump for Bracken (price and mixed nature of the development) or Hamilton (just not quite the right house types for us, and also a bit unnerved by the pace at which it sold, to be honest, having bought in 2006 when the world was similarly crazy). Maybe we are paralysed by inertia, but we are waiting now for Diswellstown Manor. Re your question, I would have concerns about re-saleability. The 3 bed detached is a somewhat unusual house type. Folk with the budget for a detached are usually looking for an extra bedroom and a bigger garden also. There's a lot of 3 bed semis in the area that this house would be competing with if/when you went to resell. You wouldn't really be able to compete with the larger detached houses. Yet you're probably paying somewhere in between (noting I don't know what the 3 bed detached houses you mention are asking). But that's just my view. We will probably still be looking in another ten years time!!!

Hi Pauric. I've been lurking on this post for ages. Like most people posting, we are in the area and thinking about moving but didn't jump for Bracken (price and mixed nature of the development) or Hamilton (just not quite the right house types for us, and also a bit unnerved by the pace at which it sold, to be honest, having bought in 2006 when the world was similarly crazy). Maybe we are paralysed by inertia, but we are waiting now for Diswellstown Manor. Re your question, I would have concerns about re-saleability. The 3 bed detached is a somewhat unusual house type. Folk with the budget for a detached are usually looking for an extra bedroom and a bigger garden also. There's a lot of 3 bed semis in the area that this house would be competing with if/when you went to resell. You wouldn't really be able to compete with the larger detached houses. Yet you're probably paying somewhere in between (noting I don't know what the 3 bed detached houses you mention are asking). But that's just my view. We will probably still be looking in another ten years time!!!

Hi Rossie, we ended up going for the 4bed semi-detached (Lavery) I'm still anxious to see what Diswellstown Manor will be like and if they are of a similar price I could go with it instead.

I heard a rumour today that the 4bed is 550k and the 5bed is 630k. To me this makes the 4bed expensive and the 5bed more reasonable. I like the ground level layout of the 4bed but I think upstairs is a little on the small side. I would probably convert the back 2 bedrooms into one large bedroom and in-time convert the attic.

Hi all, just looking through the thread here and find it very interesting. I have my own detached house for sale in the Luttrellstown area and I too am looking at Diswellstown Manor as an option. What puts me off the Hamilton estate is the fact that the houses are timber built and with the wet climate we have in Ireland, these houses may have problems with wet rot in years to come. The fact the the gardens are mostly north faced and the ones that are south facing have tiny back yards, would seem to me to be a negative also. However, if I can't sell my own house, I'd be pretty much happy to stay where I am as opposed to trading up to a larger house. I did like the Bracken development but my wife wants a front garden, which Bracken doesn't provide for. For the prices also in this estate, the back gardens are very small.

I see Diswellstown is on sale Thursday. Smaller and cheaper by 10k for a 4 bed. Look like lovely houses - really like the floor plan.

Not sure on the post about tiny back gardens. I found a Hamilton very large (30ft) and better than many built in the 90s etc... Not sure what they will be like in Diswellstown Manor. They are doing a 5 bed and in future a 2 bed mews.... Very few south facing gardens too by look of things.

The 2 estates will be joined for pedestrian access - I'm not sure they will feel separate.

Not sure you can easily convert the attics in these BER a2 houses. The solar panels are in the way and the heat recovery system would need to be integrated into this. Not sure how the BER is affected by cutting a big hole in all that insulation.

Back