New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

The swifts sold well, it was the more expensive 4 bed laverys with north facing gardens which kind of stalled, and rightly so, paying 500k for a dark kitchen and shadowed garden for most of the day is farcical. However from visiting the last phase of DM, the garden aspect is shocking, very dark.

Osborne is a new house on offer not a swift. I believe they will be red bricks. I heard they planned to put up the price in HP before the ftb was annouced

Osborne is a slight modification of a Swift. I'm not sure if all of them are red bricks but some definitely are.
The price increases were mooted long before the help-to-buy scheme and are just an indication of the sellers' market that we're in. The help-to-buy scheme is a factor no doubt, but it's basic economics...prices will reflect what the market is willing to pay. Only this morning we have the media reporting on people queuing to buy homes for 400k+ in Stepaside...Welcome back 2006! :)

Crazy stuff in HP today, queues from early. Is there a pre release or something of phase 3? Thought it would have released tomorrow? Price rises don't seem to have dampened interest at all.

Got an email the other day from Sherry saying that the third phase was being launched today, and continuing over the weekend. Not surprised at the queues and level of interest.

Question RE Hamilton Park contracts.

Hi Folks,

We're at the point of signing contract for Hamilton Park, and our solicitor asked the developers solicitor (DS) to amend several conditions:

(a) One is that the price of the property upon signing is not final and that it can change post-signing (it mentions increase in labour / materials cost as a reason). The purchaser would therefore be liable for the increased cost.
The DS refuses to remove this.

(b) The DS also refuses to include a condition that the house will be as per specifications as advertised (ie regarding kitchen counters, fridge, washer, dryer etc).

Can I ask, did anybody's solicitor notice item (a) above ?, did you have it removed ? Or if not, did the value of the property change after you signed ?

Secondly, RE (b) above, did other peoples contracts also not include reference to the specifications of the house ? And if not, was the house equipped as advertised ? As per brochure ?

Thanks.

Regarding (b), I took this to mean that it wouldn't be millimeter perfect to whatever plans are in place, i.e. cover themselves against the guy coming in on a Friday morning 2 hours fresh from Coppers and forgot to bring his measuring tape with him. I think it's unlikely to be materially different to what the spec/showhouse is. They have a good reputation and a lot of houses to sell, so they can't afford to be messing people around...Also, the people we've talked to so far who have bought and moved into HP have been hugely positive about their interactions with the developer's representatives as well.

For (a), this wasn't in our contract, or else wasn't pointed out to us. Seems strange. Do you also have the option of backing out with full refund of deposit + interest, if the price is different?

Regarding (b), I took this to mean that it wouldn't be millimeter perfect to whatever plans are in place, i.e. cover themselves against the guy coming in on a Friday morning 2 hours fresh from Coppers and forgot to bring his measuring tape with him. I think it's unlikely to be materially different to what the spec/showhouse is. They have a good reputation and a lot of houses to sell, so they can't afford to be messing people around...Also, the people we've talked to so far who have bought and moved into HP have been hugely positive about their interactions with the developer's representatives as well.

For (a), this wasn't in our contract, or else wasn't pointed out to us. Seems strange. Do you also have the option of backing out with full refund of deposit + interest, if the price is different?
We had the same clause (a) in DM. We raised it as an issue but were not able to have it removed. Solicitor told us she had never seen a clause like this exercised but it was a risk.

It is a sellers market and they have the power at the moment so its a matter of calculating the risk of this arising (which is unlikely given Park Development reputation and the houses it still has to sell) versus how much you want the house.

Hi Folks,

We're at the point of signing contract for Hamilton Park, and our solicitor asked the developers solicitor (DS) to amend several conditions:

(a) One is that the price of the property upon signing is not final and that it can change post-signing (it mentions increase in labour / materials cost as a reason). The purchaser would therefore be liable for the increased cost.

(b) The DS also refuses to include a condition that the house will be as per specifications as advertised (ie regarding kitchen counters, fridge, washer, dryer etc).

Can I ask, did anybody's solicitor notice item (a) above ?, did you have it removed ? Or if not, did the value of the property change after you signed ?

Secondly, RE (b) above, did other peoples contracts also not include reference to the specifications of the house ? And if not, was the house equipped as advertised ? As per brochure ?

Thanks.

I notice both (a) and (b) in the contract and raised the issue with my solicitor. As per previous comments here, DS refused to take it out and my solicitor argued that although a risk, it was unlikely there would be a problem. I agree with the general reasoning in relation to Park Developments reputation and the repercussions should they exercise such clauses.

It was a risk but we didn't have any problems with the purchase in this respect.

From what I saw today there didn't seem to be many FTB types there.

I thought the prices might rise but thought there was some left from last phase so didn't expect a queue.

The swifts sold well, it was the more expensive 4 bed laverys with north facing gardens which kind of stalled, and rightly so, paying 500k for a dark kitchen and shadowed garden for most of the day is farcical. However from visiting the last phase of DM, the garden aspect is shocking, very dark.

In fairness they sold them all which is impressive for the orientation. Had a look at the site map and the new ones seem to all face east. I'd say they will go quick but will have a premium price.

Hi,

How are current residents of DM dealing with their refuse?

I don't see any wheelie bins around the estate.

Thanks

Hi,

How are current residents of DM dealing with their refuse?

I don't see any wheelie bins around the estate.

Thanks
There are wheelie bins - today's bin day for Panda anyway :) I guess people just pull them in the side passages after the bin days. Shame the management fees don't include bin collection

Hi Folks,

Thanks.
Glad somebody has raised issues with HP contracts.
As well as above Park flatly refused to allow the standard "subject to mortgage" clause in their sale contracts for us, despite the fact that right from the start we advised their agents we were mortgaged buyers, even providing loan approval letters etc. This means you potentially stand to lose your sizeable deposit funds should bank lending fall through at the end of the day for whatever reason prior to final completion. At least in DM if you prove you have adequate AIP they will allow the clause which gives you a level of comfort. At the end of the day circumstances can conspire out of your control in this regard so thought this was a bit of an unfair risk to be put on a buyer.
Park solicitors also would not agree to be bound by their replies to pre contract queries, which seems baffling to me! I also understand it is a prohibited consumer contract term under EU communities regulations.
Overall found them fairly unrelenting when it came to contract negotiation, take it or leave it, plenty more in line if you don't like it kind of attitude.
Hopefully you have a better experience, and in fairness it seems like most people are closing regardless so I wish you the best with it, but we gave them the two fingers in the end.

There are wheelie bins - today's bin day for Panda anyway :) I guess people just pull them in the side passages after the bin days. Shame the management fees don't include bin collection

Great thanks . I suppose it's only really Panda that serve Fungal so they are the only option.

Have any residents had restrictions in relation to installing a garden shed etc ?

Thanks in advance

Great thanks . I suppose it's only really Panda that serve Fungal so they are the only option.

Have any residents had restrictions in relation to installing a garden shed etc ?

Thanks in advance
Don't think so - I know there's a few sheds already in for some of the houses.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance

Citybins also supply Fingal and can work out quite a bit cheaper. Some in Diswellstown use them.

How long did it end up taking with DM from snag sign off to having the keys?
Wasn't long at all once snag was agreed, only a matter of a few days I think while some final docs were obtained. Delays were really in getting to that stage in the first place!

Back