New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

Council can be pretty sticky on access points in general I think. Some private estates have to give access and aren't gated so don't see why DM can't. If it was a fully gated complex of understand. HP could easily have had a walk way so Burnell PK but a walk was built. Maybe all access to and from has to be from Porterstown rd??

That said it could be seen to be too high foot traffic- it's possible any path leading to a gate could go right by people's houses in both estates. This would make houses at the gate less desirable - not just to buyers but people if already in on both sides. I've seen this in a couple of estates (college PK in terenure).

DM is a private space so it's not as simple as if both were built on greenfield sites controlled by the coco. A lot of the time management companies advise against providing access to the wider area freely. People in DM have to pay for the upkeep of the place and a key pad (which break regularly and codes are always shared for) which just goes onto the fees. So sometimes when building they will take that on board.

Has the builder said anything?

Keypad gate for DM residents only?? Sorry but screw that, it's either access for everybody or nobody, as a buyer of a property in HP, i would object to a keypad gate!

As far as I am aware the objection is on the HP developers side not DM. (makes sense as DM built the wall and installed the gate). Once all of the units in DM are sold and the apartments/creche are finished at the school roundabouts I can't imagine there will be any objections. It will make walking to the gaa and hotel shorter for some HP residents and access to school and transport shorter for a lot of DM.

The coco make the decision. Developer has to do what they say when it comes to right of access. I'm sure they have input but if the council want access by foot I'm sure they can demand it in the plans.

Having said that it's not good either side of the wall if there is a gate slamming and foot traffic concentrated outside your house so id say it's not perfect for anybody.

The Beeches where the current path is could be the only option that keeps the status quo and its right in front of the hotel so in a perfect place...

Yes. There's no other vested interest to consider there, as it's a long standing right of way. In fairness, if I was on the ground floor of the yet to be built apartments in HP, I wouldn't like all that pedestrian traffic going past my living / bedroom window, morning noon and night. And it would become a short cut for all the estates over to Somerton. If they are going to upgrade the lighting at the access on the west side, combined with the exit onto the Porterstown Road at Somerton, that should be enough. But I'm still not keen on the idea of a keypad anywhere. I've never seen that - a keypad to be able to walk into and out of an estate (as opposed to drive). It would make it feel a bit set apart, I think. Aside from the associated maintenance.

Guys I rang Fingal about this. Basically you can't make representations to Fingal about this as there is no current "open" planning application for DM or HP. On the Fingal website, it shows the latest planning for HP adjacent to this gate, which closed for submissions last month I believe. Its hard to see, but there appears to be a single long apartment block there with open ground between it and the gate. So I don't see why the gate can't open into this area- its not going into someone's back garden. My understanding is that the path into the beeches is to be upgraded on the beeches side with lighting- heard this a while ago from Fingal. Ideally this gate would have a keypad on it. Imagine that it will be at least a year before anything is open there. I dont see why Fingal could be opposed to the gate. Hope this helps

Yes there are plans for big 4 storey apartment block across from the school - I wonder is there anyway residents could object or is it too late?

For people living in DM...What broadband have people gone for?
Has anyone got broadband through Sky? Or Eir?

I went with Virgin media as I was already in contract with them and it's had no issues.

I did also call Eir to find out and it took a couple of weeks before they could even identify my address. They had our address in as Diswellstone rather than Diswellstown. After they got it on their system it showed up as max of 2Mb a few months back but you have prompted me to check again and it is showing up as 40Mb now so they may have got it connected back to one of the local cabinets that they have in the area. I'm tempted to get a line in with them to test it out as you have 14 days to cancel if not happy.

Think it is approved, it was a reason why we bought in Phase 3 of Hamilton park, right in the corner of the top end (furthest point away from the apartment block), i believe there will also be a group of shops incorporated into the building or next to it or soemthing

Regarding DM, has anyone else experienced a delay in closing sale on their house. The vendors solicitor are waiting on documentation from the management company for over a week which is preventing us from closing. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experienced this, very frustrating.

Regarding DM, has anyone else experienced a delay in closing sale on their house. The vendors solicitor are waiting on documentation from the management company for over a week which is preventing us from closing. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experienced this, very frustrating.
We are in the same position, very frustrating waiting nearly 3 weeks for vendor to sign. Was told they sign contracts in batches.

Yes, painfully slow process for us too. Has been from the start, they need to up their game!

Last edited:
There are no plans for 4 story apartment blocks. I dont think DM developers would have agreed to that as the edge of this block would only be about 10 feet from the houses across the wall in DM, but 30-40 feet from houses in HP so would put DM at a disadvantage albeit to the north. It would be very unfair to build a 4 story block 5 feet from a wall that is only 5 feet from a private house.

The original plans showed 2 blocks, one at the end of the main avenue and a very small one above a creche about 50 meters from the school. Probably only 5 or 10 apartments, I think 25 in total for both blocks so very small in comparison to normal apartment blocks. In front of that is a "civic" space as it will be beside the school. This will face the park and playground in HP and be an "Open space" with benches etc... we are told.

Both were 2 story only and quite small, like those in Bracken Park.

However we have continually been told that the HP developer does not want to build these and very well may not if they can get out of it. There are a few reasons, 1 Apartments arent selling (Seem Bracken Pk), Creches are not selling (Again, see Bracken and other countless creches for sale online due to HIQA), 3 It is too close to the school to put in a fast food outlet or pub so not easy to sell commercial units. Therefore it seems to be a bad idea all round. I think most residents in HP are as opposed to apartments going in as those would be in DM, I believe the old DM house will be split into apartments or become a nursing home (Like Farmleigh Woods) as it wouldnt be worth buying if you had 1.5m to spend on a large period house.

Also HP are releasing Phase 3 at the moment and contacting people on the list. I think it launches saturday and they seem to have made some house changes. They have changed the Swift and Lavery house style and are also building full red brick houses - they actually look great. It seems the ground floor layout will change. You can see the first of these as you drive in at the end of the road.

The downside is price, there has been a 55k price increase on the previous low price for a Swift with a less desirable aspect/plot. New starting prices will be 495k for a Swift so if anybody has an option to get one from phase 2 at the current prices it might be an idea to call them. Mind you some of the Swifts went for 100k above this price so god only knows what they want for one on a corner with south facing garden....

PS I dont work for the estate agent :) - my friend just got a call from them to tell them the above and called me.

Regarding Hamilton Park, some of things being mentioned here go against what is officially in the planning permission (yes, I know planning can be modified but we have to work with what's planned now). I'm not sure if it's estate agent hearsay or wishful thinking, or someone has an inside line on either the Fingal Co Co or the developer.

There is also some confusion on the Phases. The developer themselves, when submitting planning, talk in terms of Phase 1 and Phase 2. Phase 1 is all the north part of the site that has nearly been completed. Phase 2 is the bottom half of the site for which planning permission is currently being sought. The estate agents then talk about Phases 1, 2 and 3 but they are just referring to the way the houses in Phase 1 were released in 3 different lots.

Anyway, regarding Phase 2 planning permission, and according to the latest decision from Fingal Co Co (dated 23 August), the following things are accurate:
  1. Permission has not been granted yet; more information has been requested
  2. A decision on the access point between DM and HP has not been made. The developer has not said what they would do and Planning have asked for more information. Specifically "There would be no pedestrian permeability between the proposed development and Diswellstown House, Protected Structure development FW13A/0075, currently under construction to the south, Burnell Park Avenue to the north and Mulberry Park to the north east. The applicant should provide details of pedestrian permeability between the two developments [HP and DM]."
  3. Planning permission for a 4 story apartment block (Block 7) comprising 53 units has been sought and the council have asked for a "...revised elevation [to protect DM from overlooking]
  4. Planning permission for a creche with potentially capacity of 100 kids is sought.
  5. There is no request for shops or pubs but the bottom floor of the apartment block has been designed in such a way that they could be turned into commercial units...
The documentation is online for anyone to view, so there isn't much need for speculation.

documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00534083.pdf

Also, related to the apartment questions, planning permission for Phase 1 also has designs for 3 and 4 story apartments (Blocks 6a and 6b) with about 30 units and I could see the foundations for them the last time I was there (they're the only concrete foundations there...).

For anyone wondering about exact dimensions of the houses internally, you can also find them in the planning. I'm sure they won't be millimeter accurate but they give the sq.m area per room which will help for costing floors, carpets etc.
documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00471919.pdf

Niall Jordan- excellent post and thanks for providing clarity on current status of HP planning with weblinks so there is now no confusion. Update on pedestrian link. I spoke with someone onsite in DM whom I don't want to name but he knows exactly what is going on. Tells me from informal contact with council do want pedestrian access between the two estates (makes sense), and have asked HP to provide clarity on access on their side. Imagine DM residents will want a keypad or else some will only want access out through the beeches to maintain "rural look" of estate for want of a better word. Bobsworth agree yet another apartment block is not needed in D15 and is not wanted either by residents or developers. RE swifts in HP selling for 595K, I think they had 1-2 swifts with large corner sites that HP attempted to sell at 575K or 595K but I doubt they ever actually sold them at this price (dont know for certain)

Apartments arent selling (Seem Bracken Pk)
All 3 apartment blocks in Bracken Park are sold and would hazard a guess that they all sold within 2/3 weeks of launching with waiting lists being formed for the next block after each block was sold.

P.S. Excellent post Niall Jordan. It's important people deal with facts and not hearsay when making important decisions. The risk is that you believe what you want to hear even if it's not factual.

Youre right I think. Estate Agents are still telling buyers that there is no decision on this yet and that the developer doesnt want to build them. Maybe a bit of mis selling going on????

This new plan is pretty nasty for the whole area really if im reading it correctly?? It seems to impact the school worst and then probably the couple of houses over the boundary wall who id say have bought and moved in unknowingly. The original for that area was civic space and a 2 storey building can see in original plans).....

Im surprised nobody affected seems to have brought any objections but its clear that the above is only an application as if you open the "decision" document you will see that the finding is "null" and that there are stipulations still to be met. If I was in that row of houses at DM in particular id object, also I think they will find it tough to shift the row of houses facing the block in HP.....

Doesnt seem good for anybody!

Excellent post Niall Jordan, nice to see people deal in facts! Personally I wouldn't mind the Beeches being the only pedestrian access point once it's paved and lit well. I'm not overly pushed on having access directly into Hamilton Park.

Last edited:
Did anyone in dm have to get their doors trimmed before/after putting down carpet and if so did you use someone on site to do it?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a company that they used for either blinds or an alarm? Thanks.

Back