New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

Calling out to folks already living in DM or contractually committed to a property there.

I understand from reading the thread that the planning permission for DM is pretty well understood as per Planning Reference: FW13A/0075 however what is less clear to me is the developers intention wrt Diswellstown House. Does anybody have an insight into how the protected structure will be assimilated into the DM development? Will it become a commercial enterprise that the residents have no input to? The concern must be that it is something out of character to DM and impacts the quality of life of those living close to it? It is a large house with expansive grounds that will require upkeep, who will do this and who will pay for it? I assume it will be beyond the remit of the DM management company?

I would like to sound opinions on how folks feel it will affect the visual aspect of property No's 92 - 94, would most agree that the house will be an attractive feature that is a very unusual thing in a typical Dublin housing development or could it be a dominating structure that casts a long shadow over the cul de sac those houses are in?

Thank you everybody for the posts that have gone before me, they have been very helpful.

FYI: Text from FW13A/0075
Permission for development at Diswellstown House, Diswellstown, Dublin 15 and including connections to public sewer via Luttrellstown Road and Porterstown Road. Site area (including works along public road)is c. 6.53ha. Diswellstown House is a Protected Structure (No. 731 - including main house, outbuildings, gate piers and gates). The development will consist of modifications to Permission Ref. F06A/1597 (which was granted for 156 no dwellings (96 apartments & 60 houses), crèche, basement car park, demolition/conversion of outbuildings and sheds/structures, residential development within the walled garden, maintaining Diswellstown House as a residence and redefining its boundary/curtilage, and associated works). The revised development will now comprise a total of 119 no. residential units. This includes Diswellstown House which will be retained as a residence subject to internal and elevational modifications including removal of a 1st floor bedroom and 2nd floor bathroom (c.50 sq.m in total) (Revised floor area of main house c.780 sq.m. plus c.97 sq.m. shed). Demolition of sheds/barn/walled garden structures and portions of glasshouse/outbuildings (c.355.2 sq.m in total). Conversion/extension of outbuildings and glasshouse to provide 4 no. 2-bed and 2 no. 3-bed, 1 to 2-storey residential units (ranging in size from c.77 sq.m to c.145 sq.m). Development of 8 no.3-bed, 2-storey terraced houses (c.116 sq.m each) within the walled garden. Provision of new boundary treatments and improvements to existing boundaries within the Diswellstown House curtilage. New openings in the walled garden and other boundaries to provide access. Relocation of entrance pillars/gates to new location adjacent the main house. Provision of 104 no. 2-3 storey houses on the remainder of the lands, ranging in size from c.109 sq.m to c.211 sq.m. Comprising 11 no. detached, 70 no. semi-detached, and 23 no. terraced houses. Provision of new roads, paths/cycleway, open spaces, pumping station kiosk (c.2 sq.m). All associated site development, services and landscaping works. The total gross floor of the development, including modifications to Diswellstown House, is c.18,370 sq.m. SIGNIFICANT FURTHER INFORMATION has now been received.

Last time I was at a viewing for DM, the selling agents and interested people there were asking the same question and the view seemed to be that it would be turned into a house for sale. I think (could be wrong) this is reflected in the latest planning permission whereby it has planning for 119 residential units, 118 of which are being built, the last being the house itself. I've always personally thought those houses facing the house itself would be a super location as close to green space and the main house. No row of houses facing them has to be a positive.

I heard that there were already 7+ interested parties on the renovated house which was definitely going to be residential.

Question for anyone who has already moved in to Diswellstown, what would you say was your success rate of your snag list (I.e. 90% of the requested items closed out to your satisfaction? 60/70/80% etc)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Barrier was moved back further in HP last weekend. Can almost drive to the end now. Was worried HP might feel like a very large estate, certainly didn't feel like that as I drove down through it yesterday evening. Noise level from M50 slightly more noticeable then phase 1 as expected but not as noticeable as mulberry or college gate which would be closer.

Guys thanks for your input wrt DH, for those interested there is a lot of info contained within the Fingal Managers Report, 00453567.pdf. It is available from the Planning Website.Of course it is only relevant if the plans are adhered too. Askaboutmoney is telling me I cannot post the link for ye guys [it's a newbie restriction!]

I am so pleased to have found this thread..great info thanks...did a u turn and settled on HP, and have paid initial deposit...my only reservation is the M50...its quite noisy in Mulberry, but that estate is very close...hoping Ours will b ok as its the new phase, and is close enough...prob depends on wind direction as I have stood at the barrier looking down towards house and the noise level varies...I am over thinking it really...I hope..

If concerned about noise I suggest you look up air pollution near motorways also

I am so pleased to have found this thread..great info thanks...did a u turn and settled on HP, and have paid initial deposit...my only reservation is the M50...its quite noisy in Mulberry, but that estate is very close...hoping Ours will b ok as its the new phase, and is close enough...prob depends on wind direction as I have stood at the barrier looking down towards house and the noise level varies...I am over thinking it really...I hope..

I'm prob overthinking it too, my wife certainly says I am:) But I'm a light sleeper so checked noise levels in a number of locations. Did it at night (as this is naturally most sensitive time and cars speed up) Did this at 11pm last nite. Results as follows: HP (at the barrier in estate at next phase)it read 55-60 decibels, DM outside house no. 1 60-65, mulberry (road in estate closest to motor way) 65-70, college gate (road closest in estate to motor way) 65-70. I'm no expert but read that 70 or above is considered to be hazardes. It can depend on wind (coming from south at time) time of day etc etc but this satisfied me for HP. Also Carolyn in Sherry Fitz confirmed that a sound barrier will be erected, one of the conditions for getting planning permission which is reassuring. Can't hear a peep inside showrooms also. Overall I'm happy

Last edited:
Air pollution=> This is an excellent point -i was thinking about this quite a bit, particularly with a young family, quite concerning really, again this would depend on wind direction but obviously there will be exposure.
I can confirm there is indeed a walkway in place at the rear of DM so access to the shops/pub in Carpenterstown will be a couple of mins

Air pollution=> This is an excellent point -i was thinking about this quite a bit, particularly with a young family, quite concerning really, again this would depend on wind direction but obviously there will be exposure.
I can confirm there is indeed a walkway in place at the rear of DM so access to the shops/pub in Carpenterstown will be a couple of mins
Where is the walkway? Has there been space left in the north boundry wall with HP?

Where is the walkway? Has there been space left in the north boundry wall with HP?

Currently one that is directly across the road from castleknock hotel, goes through the beeches estate and comes out at the roundabout near st. Pats school

There were proposed pedestrian access points in the brochure to the north, one into the school north end of third road in DM , one at the north end of the second road and one directly into the Beaches (west boundary of the estate) . Having been up at the site last week I can't see how the 3rd road will have access to the school and couldn't see if a gap had been left in the second road.

There is a gap left in the second road (you can see it when you're in the estate). There won't be one on the third road. There will also be the one that goes out onto the Beeches laneway.

Also pedestrian access into the parkland area right beside the gate out onto the Porterstown road, opposite the Castleknock hotel. Plenty of options for walking in and out.

Even though there is a walkway opening / gap in the second road this has not been approved by developers for Hamilton Park. They have said they do not want the walkway between the two estates, and as they own the land they can enforce this - so that gap could very likely be filled up leaving no access point there.

For anyone who has moved into DM, how long from when you submitted your snag list until the builders contacted you to reinspect?
Thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone who has moved in yet gotten Sky? Just noticed on a drive around the estate this evening that i couldn't see any dishes.

Hey it's got that wired system where you don't need a dish. You just sign up and there's one dish at the front of the development.

For anyone who has moved into DM, how long from when you submitted your snag list until the builders contacted you to reinspect?
Thanks

I am also interested about the snag...from when the snag was submitted how long was it until the builder was in touch in terms of getting items completed?

Did the majority of items on the snag get fixed / made good? Were people happy with the process?

I am also interested about the snag...from when the snag was submitted how long was it until the builder was in touch in terms of getting items completed?

Did the majority of items on the snag get fixed / made good? Were people happy with the process?
Currently in the middle of the process,will report back when done.

Hi all
Any one have any experience or insight into attic conversions for either of the developments. Wondering re ceiling high and whether this will cause an issue if want to convert the attic

Back