New Houses in Diswellstown Castleknock

The migration towards purchasing new is a by-product of the Central Bank rules if you ask me. If FTB have to scramble to get 60k for a 3 bed house @ 400k then they'll do that and have nothing left over for any meaningful repairs/renovations.

Look at the mortgage market, many of the banks have recognised that this is where the pain points are for FTB and have modified their offerings as a result. Basically giving people an advance of a loan of 2%.

The migration towards purchasing new is a by-product of the Central Bank rules if you ask me. If FTB have to scramble to get 60k for a 3 bed house @ 400k then they'll do that and have nothing left over for any meaningful repairs/renovations.

Look at the mortgage market, many of the banks have recognised that this is where the pain points are for FTB and have modified their offerings as a result. Basically giving people an advance of a loan of 2%.

Agree 100%!

FTB aside -

A trader up in negative equity has to find 80k for the deposit alone for 400k house...they don't grow on trees!!

Plus the 3.5 times income means it has to be 2 incomes or 1 earning in excess of 100k.

Having said that 40k in modernisations gives a lot of work and headaches too!!!

No

No eir lines anywhere. Nightmare so have broadband and phone through Virgin. Up to 360mb and rooms have ports built into walls.

Eir and sky said it could be 6 months for a line in a new house!

Traffic is grand. School is busy around 8.30 - 9 but I've already left by then. That's the only traffic I know of but it isn't bad... I do drive but am from the area and traffic isn't that bad compared to other areas within 10km of city centre I think. I notice a lot of the kids in st Patrick's and ccc walk. I guess it's quicker - plus the schools are in such a residential area.

Hi Bobsworth - any issue getting Virgin into the house? have you gone with Virgin for TV too? I've had experience moving homes with UPC previously and it wasn't exactly smooth sailing...

Yes we got virgin in. We were with Sky before so was new contract but the house is pre wired for Virgin so all it too was an engineer call out and it was on and actually clocking 265mbs wired and 70mbs wi Fi. I'd recommend a better router than the standard they give you though as it doesn't get the wi Fi throughout the house....

Interesting reading the request for an amendment to the planning permission resubmitted on 29 Jan (FW16A/0011).
Wonder where the 450 residental units in total will fit in - the area boxed off in the current brochure surely can't be to scale if they refer to 450 houses, retail units and a creche?

It appears from the development plans that the apartments won't be directly opposite houses. One think which turned me off BP was the lack of a front garden and looking directly onto apartment blocks. The houses currently facing onto the green at HP and the cul de sacs etc give it a much much neighbour feel IMO than the feel of BP

Seen a lot of this mention of 450 units in HP. No agent, builder etc... mention more than 225. Never understood it myself as can only find approval for 225 too on Fingal. Original application was 450 but permission only for 225. Not sure where a couple of ppl are getting their info? Woodbrook phase 2 was to be 2 eight story blocks of apartments, that's what Castlethorn applied for, however they are building 75 houses. The original application doesn't always stand...

For clarity and anybody new to forum:

Hamilton Pk will be 225 units only. Original application was for 450 under a number of phases etc. Permission has only been granted for 225 residential units including 54 apartments overlooking Mulberry at rear of estate. Even if you count the units on the plans you can see it's nowhere near 450.

Diswellstown Manor will be 125 residential units. BUT...

Most importantly, and this is where some people are being mislead on density and transport/traffic. There is further planning permission (until 2017) granted for 156 terraced houses and apartments (96 apartments to be exact) on the site of Diswellstown Manor itself.

Some people felt HP a risk as "future development" outlined. As land is owned by 1 builder they did this. The site DM is on is owned by NAMA, the one immediately adjoining including the original house is privately owned and will be the highest density of any of the estates - it's access point will be right beside Diswellstown Manor on Porterstown road. This is a very poor quality road to have vehicle access for 280 units imo..

Total planned units as of today with Fingal-

HAMILTON - 225 units only (175 houses, approx 50 apartments) this is on 10 hectares

Diswellstown Manor - 125 houses on 10ha

Diswellstown Manor adjoining site (old house) - 156 units incl 96 apartments. This is on only 6 hectares so quite high density...particularly as 1ha is for s crèche so only 5ha for 156 units.

All 3 plans are available on Fingal.ie The planning ref is F06A/1597/E1 and shows it being granted 5 year extension in 2012. Worth a look if people don't want to be disappointed - I think building has started and the access road at the old house is in.

I also believe the land to the south around the hotel is zoned for residential purposes.....

Bobsworth,

Permission Ref F06A/1597 for 156 (96 apartments & 60 houses) was amended to the current build FW13A/0075 total of 119 no. residential units includes Diswellstown House which will be retained as a residence. Don't scaremonger without the facts, people are worried enough putting life savings into houses without people on blogs adding to it.

Permission for development at Diswellstown House, Diswellstown, Dublin 15 and including connections to public sewer via Luttrellstown Road and Porterstown Road. Site area (including works along public road)is c. 6.53ha. Diswellstown House is a Protected Structure (No. 731 - including main house, outbuildings, gate piers and gates). The development will consist of modifications to Permission Ref. F06A/1597 (which was granted for 156 no dwellings (96 apartments & 60 houses), crèche, basement car park, demolition/conversion of outbuildings and sheds/structures, residential development within the walled garden, maintaining Diswellstown House as a residence and redefining its boundary/curtilage, and associated works). The revised development will now comprise a total of 119 no. residential units. This includes Diswellstown House which will be retained as a residence subject to internal and elevational modifications including removal of a 1st floor bedroom and 2nd floor bathroom (c.50 sq.m in total) (Revised floor area of main house c.780 sq.m. plus c.97 sq.m. shed). Demolition of sheds/barn/walled garden structures and portions of glasshouse/outbuildings (c.355.2 sq.m in total). Conversion/extension of outbuildings and glasshouse to provide 4 no. 2-bed and 2 no. 3-bed, 1 to 2-storey residential units (ranging in size from c.77 sq.m to c.145 sq.m). Development of 8 no.3-bed, 2-storey terraced houses (c.116 sq.m each) within the walled garden. Provision of new boundary treatments and improvements to existing boundaries within the Diswellstown House curtilage. New openings in the walled garden and other boundaries to provide access. Relocation of entrance pillars/gates to new location adjacent the main house. Provision of 104 no. 2-3 storey houses on the remainder of the lands, ranging in size from c.109 sq.m to c.211 sq.m. Comprising 11 no. detached, 70 no. semi-detached, and 23 no. terraced houses. Provision of new roads, paths/cycleway, open spaces, pumping station kiosk (c.2 sq.m). All associated site development, services and landscaping works. The total gross floor of the development, including modifications to Diswellstown House, is c.18,370 sq.m. SIGNIFICANT FURTHER INFORMATION has now been received.

Yes we got virgin in. We were with Sky before so was new contract but the house is pre wired for Virgin so all it too was an engineer call out and it was on and actually clocking 265mbs wired and 70mbs wi Fi. I'd recommend a better router than the standard they give you though as it doesn't get the wi Fi throughout the house....

Great stuff thanks for the reply.

Seen a lot of this mention of 450 units in HP. No agent, builder etc... mention more than 225. Never understood it myself as can only find approval for 225 too on Fingal. Original application was 450 but permission only for 225. Not sure where a couple of ppl are getting their info? Woodbrook phase 2 was to be 2 eight story blocks of apartments, that's what Castlethorn applied for, however they are building 75 houses. The original application doesn't always stand...

Hamilton Pk will be 225 units only. Original application was for 450 under a number of phases etc. Permission has only been granted for 225 residential units including 54 apartments overlooking Mulberry at rear of estate. Even if you count the units on the plans you can see it's nowhere near 450.

HAMILTON - 225 units only (175 houses, approx 50 apartments) this is on 10 hectares

Not sure this is an accurate representation of what will happen with HP. I say this as someone who bought in HP, but its going to be more than 225 units. That is what is currently on the map. Under FW14A/0066 this is stated in the decision

"This permission authorises 224 no. residential units. REASON: In the interest of clarity.
Condition i) Phase 1 shall consist of all works within the area hatched in orange on the Phasing Plan drawing no. pS05 received on the 06/06/14 (224 no. units, all areas of public open space within the red line boundary, the main access road, internal routes, all hard and soft landscaping, and playgrounds and the piece of Public Art.) Precise details of the layout and design of the main area of open space to the east of the site shall be agreed in writing with the Planning Authority prior to the commencement of development. This area of open space shall be completed and operational prior to the occupation of 50 no. residential units. ii) Phase 2 shall comprise of all the works in the areas hatched in blue on the Phasing Plan drawing no. pS05 submitted on the 06/06/14. REASON: To ensure all works are carried out within a reasonable timeframe. "

So there is a Phase 2 in Hamilton Park, that was approved previously and the detail submitted can be seen in maps submitted in FW14A/0066

This shows the second phase of Hamilton Park, which basically continues beside where Phase 1 stops, houses on the same road etc. These units will be part of the Hamilton development and feed out onto Diswellstown Road and not Luttrelstown Road

Can't link the map (not enough posts but its there for all to see)

So does this mean there will be apartments in Diswellstown or not, confused by the last few posts.
No they had been planned in the original application but this was revised to the 119 or so houses that you can see in the brochure.

If you look at the google earth view of the site beside a copy of the brochure you can see that there is no more space for any other building on the site.

So does this mean there will be apartments in Diswellstown or not, confused by the last few posts.

Yes - there will. 96 of them - just there will be separate access.

It's just a small change to plans but they are there, 156 units.

Similar to the issue over amount of houses in HP this is as a result of change to planning applications. It is now just a separate planning application. There will be a wall/hedge between them but same more or less.

Can't see 450 HP houses in the plans for HP no matter how I count them in the plans...

Yes - there will. 96 of them - just there will be separate access.

It's just a small change to plans but they are there, 156 units.

Similar to the issue over amount of houses in HP this is as a result of change to planning applications. It is now just a separate planning application. There will be a wall/hedge between them but same more or less.

Can't see 450 HP houses in the plans for HP no matter how I count them in the plans...

Don't think there will be. As ASG12345 pointed out - that application that had 96 apartments in it, was amended by application FW13A/0075 which became Diswellstown Manor and has approval for 119 residential units. There may be some apartments in the converted house, but that's about it

It's the site containing the original house. It's a separate application.

I agree it's hard to see where either these 156 or the other 225 in HP will go. Neither are on the map.

96 apartments is too high density imo for the area.

Don't think there will be. As ASG12345 pointed out - that application that had 96 apartments in it, was amended by application FW13A/0075 which became Diswellstown Manor and has approval for 119 residential units. There may be some apartments in the converted house, but that's about it

Planning in place until 2017 and remains valid. The scheme has not changed. This is not a NAMA build like DM far as I know...

Ah see that now. Apologies. The co that ownes the land went into receivership... So that's why Ruth Coppinger was squatting in there

As above, tough to see space for it as with the 225 extra in HP. DM is only 6.5ha, HP approx 10, how do you fit 450 houses on 10ha with the regulation on space?

you would think finding this stuff out would be easier?? Would be interested to know what the neighbourhood centre will be like too? Shop, crèche, civic sq etc...

I think it's very good that we are all exchanging info about what is going on at these two developments and cross referencing what the EAs are saying. I think it is quite possible that there are over 400 units at HP. Phase 1 has 225 houses and phase two has two apartment blocks and and an unspecified number of houses. The two apartment blocks are over by the back entrance to the school and may have retail elements at ground level. This is what the EA at HP told me about 2weeks ago although she was vague about this.I have seen 2014 planning drawings from Fingal that show two blocks of either apartments or offices. They are not from the website but at the planning file at their offices at Blanch. The online documents are quite incomplete and are not taken down when superceded by new planning permissions. I can see from these drawings that DM is a much lower density development that HP and there are no apartments there except possibly within diswellstown house. The plans from DM match the plans for the site shown today on the DM website. I think DM as an estate looks a lot nicer than HP, perhaps reflecting the fact that HP is timber frame construction. However the 4 beds in HP are a lot more spacious upstairs compared to the 4beds in DM, but you don't live upstairs.There appears to be uncertainty about the number of units in HP hence concerns about eventual traffic when the estate is fully completed in ?2018. Not all those roughly 2000 plus school kids walk to school and there are only about 15 houses or less occupied at present so can't judge traffic at the moment.

Last edited:
I think it's very good that we are all exchanging info about what is going on at these two developments and cross referencing what the EAs are saying. I think it is quite possible that there are over 400 units at HP. Phase 1 has 225 houses and phase two has two apartment blocks and and an unspecified number of houses. The two apartment blocks are over by the back entrance to the school and may have retail elements at ground level. This is what the EA at HP told me about 2weeks ago although she was vague about this.I have seen 2014 planning drawings from Fingal that show two blocks of either apartments or offices. They are not from the website but at the planning file at their offices at Blanch. The online documents are quite incomplete and are not taken down when superceded by new planning permissions. I can see from these drawings that DM is a much lower density development that HP and there are no apartments there except possibly within diswellstown house. The plans from DM match the plans for the site shown today on the DM website. I think DM as an estate looks a lot nicer than HP but the 4 beds in HP are a lot more spacious upstairs compared to the 4beds in DM.There appears to be uncertainty about the number of units in HP hence concerns about eventual traffic when the estate is fully completed in ?2018. Not all those roughly 2000 plus school kids walk to school and there are only about 15 houses or less occupied at present so can't judge traffic at the moment.

Even 400 units is no impact on the road network. It would take s far bigger development to make a big impact. There are apartment complexes of 00s around and they haven't either, college wood is huge, houses and apartments and no traffic issue caused.

Only when an Ongar or Hansfield type place are built of 000s units is traffic really affected.

HP has a bus stop at the entrance and train is 10/15 min walk. I think less reliance on cars needed in HP as DM is so far in places from public transport. From the gate to the train is prob a 30 min walk?

Even 400 units is no impact on the road network. It would take s far bigger development to make a big impact. There are apartment complexes of 00s around and they haven't either, college wood is huge, houses and apartments and no traffic issue caused.

Only when an Ongar or Hansfield type place are built of 000s units is traffic really affected.

HP has a bus stop at the entrance and train is 10/15 min walk. I think less reliance on cars needed in HP as DM is so far in places from public transport. From the gate to the train is prob a 30 min walk?
From the gate of DM to the HP roundabout via the porterstown road and up the laneway at the beeches is 7 mins. Once the pedestrian ways are complete DM will be a shorter walk than most of HP given they will be much further away as the site is much larger.

I've read a few posts on boards about how dreadful the traffic is in the area due to the level crossing I'm not sure what to believe anymore!! I guess it all depends on the time you leave.

If there is a problem at the level crossing there can be traffic paralysis round the area of the schools. DM joins the road to castleknock village out beyond the carpenterstown area / bracken / collegewood so it should be a lot more protected from this. It is an 18 minutes walk from the far entrance to DM to the train station, going the "giant three quarter circle route" ignoring any pedestrian links into the beeches / the school area or even onto the porterstown road itself.Parts of the future development of HP are further away again from the station.

Back