New carpet won't allow door to close, reluctant to shave door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noilheart - you're better off not wasting bytes reacting to posts like that of Grizzly, waste of time. Good luck with whatever you chose. NB - by suggestion may be totally unworkable, I'm a disaster at DIY so it is no coming from an informed source!!

Best of luck with whatever direction you go in. If you need the services of a handyman/carpenter, I used a fella recently and he was very good. I put him in touch with the mother in law too and she found him good too. I have no connection to him, I originally got his number from a crowd that supplied me with garage doors that I needed a fitter for.

Yes Parklane I did once stay at YWCA in my previous life - and they had carpets that I didnt even notice, being young and carefree at the time carpets were the last thing on my mind!:cool:
DavidDublin point taken. And just to let you all know - I took the plunge and got the door shaved at the bottom. I got fellow recommended by a neighbour and I think he did an ok job, but door maybe a bit higher than necessary I think as it is not even touching the carpet, but I reckon he did as good as anyone could. I disappeared while he was doing it as I couldn't watch and came back when he was done. Now I can see if ill get saddle board raised or maybe a draught excluder with brush, but ill leave it sit a while. Lovely new couch is coming tomorrow and hopefully will squeeze into the room as door can open now. I know it will be slightly breezier in the winter now until I get new door/windows as I have single glaze at present. I can now sit back and enjoy projector present from my daughter which projects 6 ft. "screen" on to the wall for watching films/tv! I'm beginning to fell like a winner.

I think that ParkLane was referring back to your comment about Grizzly who referred to you as "her" which you seemed to take exception to. You had to be a "her" if you stayed in the YWCA so Grizzly was correct.

Anyhow!

We had to get a new door saddle for our hall to kitchen door. Builder of house had to lower the kitchen floor slightly due to uneveness in kitchen floor. It was definitely worth it in the long run. Otherwise there would have been a noticeable step down when the original saddle was raised.

We had similar problems in a couple of our bedrooms where the builder raised the saddles with a bit of wood underneath because the architraves were cut short!!!. We never insisted on getting new saddles made which I regret now.

Thanks for the update on how the carpet/door situation turned out. You love your home improvements, don't you?

Just as the Carpet Fitter does not do electrics or plumbing, he does not do carpentry.
When I had my lounge carpet fitted over laminate floor it was much too high for the double doors to the kitchen. I hired a circular saw and cut about 15 mm off the bottom, problem solved.

Hi there, I noticed some comments to my old post here.

Thanks for the update on how the carpet/door situation turned out. You love your home improvements, don't you?

Ok Parklane, no problem. I've been doing a bit of work, mostly superficial re-decorating type, since 2009, after many years of neglect. I'd really prefer not to have to be doing it at all, but things go to pot otherwise. All I need now is double-glazed windows/updated doors, new roof, attic conversion, extension,updated heating system, updated bathroom, and I'll be in line with neighbours!! But I take consolation in the projector where I can escape the reality of all I have to do without!

Just as the Carpet Fitter does not do electrics or plumbing, he does not do carpentry.
When I had my lounge carpet fitted over laminate floor it was much too high for the double doors to the kitchen. I hired a circular saw and cut about 15 mm off the bottom, problem solved.

I wouldn't have expected carpet fitters to do electrics/plumbing or carpentry and didn't suggest that they should. To each his own. I would have expected the courtesy of letting me know that there would be a problem with closing the door and I would have chosen a thinner underlay rather than get the lovely old door cut.

Well done with the circular saw, I had to hire someone to cut a bit off the door myself, and thank God he cut it straight at least, unlike the bathroom door which was cut unevenly years ago. I am fond of my old doors!

Noilheart, I don't really like replying to posts like this because it really just continues a long debate about nothing. You presumably picked the carpet and the underlay, and employed the lads to fit it and only fit. Any other work would have to be charged for and the carpet fitters are probably not carpenters so you would have to get a carpenter to shave off the door or change the hinges, either way, at your expence.

Hi there, I noticed some comments to my old post here.

I've been doing a bit of work, mostly superficial re-decorating type, since 2009, after many years of neglect. I'd really prefer not to have to be doing it at all, but things go to pot otherwise. All I need now is double-glazed windows/updated doors, new roof, attic conversion, extension,updated heating system, updated bathroom, and I'll be in line with neighbours!! But I take consolation in the projector where I can escape the reality of all I have to do without!

I purchased a new house 20 years ago and bought a lot of new stuff for it. 20 years later and everything looks pretty tired. Carpets could do with replacing but I can get by. Double glazed windows not as effective as they used to be. Gas fireplaces expensive to run, I would love a solid fuel burner as I now have access to lots of free wood. The list goes on.

Is this what happened to our parents house. If you don't upgrade they become granny houses. If you do upgrade you ask yourself is it worth it, need I bother, workmen in the house, disturbance etc etc.

I am not sure what the answer to this is? We set aside €2k per annum for upgrades (to include furniture replacement, painting, etc). At the back of my mind there is also the thought that I can live with what I have and I can spend the €2k on a holiday to China or somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back