New build in Wexford - est of costs???

• Thread starter selfbuildwx
  • Start date
The fear mongering trick again. There are trades people and architects who are debt free with low overheads and run a tight ship.

A home office requires heating, electricity a computer, printer and photocopier, a fax a desk, a filing cabinet etc. Your former collegue will need same and his / her fee will include certain "running costs"

P.I insurance is a certain amount as is Employers Liability insurance or Public Liability insurance. Petrol or Diesel is quite expensive whether you drive a "2000" or "2010".

I don't believe in excessive fees. I do however believe that a business needs to make a profit to survive. I need to make a living, I run a very tight ship but alas I can not compete with "below cost" selling. I also believe that when you start your own business it is very easy to under charge. Many new business' fail because of this. It is very easy to mis-calculate income v's real expenditure = net profit (or loss)

Then you should begin to realise that if you reject people who expect to be paid a living wage for their work just because it suits your argument and if you accuse people of fear mongering when all they're doing is point out out areas of possible non-compliance - you may appear lacking in credibility.

I'm not calling the market, in fact speculating on house prices is expressly forbidden on AAM, so I'm not being drawn into that either.

Your the one lacking in credibility. The architects I work are not on here subtly touting themselves in the guise of free advice. I guess it's accidental your website address is at the bottom of your post. They are fully compliant with many years experience, hard working, and are turning a profit at levels you seem incapable of understanding. They are busy enough not to have the time to be on forums every second day.
They are not dishonest or lacking acumen just because you can’t reconcile yourself to them. They certainly wouldn't talk to people in an air of condescendion that's in the last couple of posts, which is best consigned to the dinosaurs that cling to the boom years mentality.

Only in Ireland!!

A home office requires heating, electricity a computer, printer and photocopier, a fax a desk, a filing cabinet etc. Your former collegue will need same and his / her fee will include certain "running costs"

P.I insurance is a certain amount as is Employers Liability insurance or Public Liability insurance. Petrol or Diesel is quite expensive whether you drive a "2000" or "2010".

I don't believe in excessive fees. I do however believe that a business needs to make a profit to survive. I need to make a living, I run a very tight ship but alas I can not compete with "below cost" selling. I also believe that when you start your own business it is very easy to under charge. Many new business' fail because of this. It is very easy to mis-calculate income v's real expenditure = net profit (or loss)

The real problems begin and end with the accounts.

- not charging VAT when you should [you should be so lucky!]
- charging VAT and living off it instead of making timely returns
- forgetting to provide for your income tax return at year's end
- not factoring in costs that used to be paid for by your employer
  • paper
  • ink
  • electricity
  • heating
  • lighting
  • P.I. cover
  • Employee cover [you should be so lucky again!]
  • upgrading your car insurance
  • upgrading provision for fuel, tyres, wear, tear, extra depreciation and servicing on you mode of transport.
- the appointment of a chartered accountant [negotiate him down]
- the formal negotiation and agreement of an overdraft or loan facility that may be identified by your business plan as being needed.
- the formulation of a business plan.
- business laptop/PC plus printer
- business software with license [Microsoft sued - was it two years ago - €70,000 or so for not having all the "seats" covered]
- upgraded house insurance to cover business risks, including replacement of drawings if lost or damaged.
- pension contribution
- etc - and yes this is not an exhaustive list.

All of this is common sense stuff, but seldom gets done properly by persons moving from contract of emplyment to sole tradership status.

Ballparking you'll be lucky to see half your turnover after deducting all your business costs.

Unless that figure pays the bills, you'll go under in around 18 months depending on your savings/severance package.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back