New build DIY

60watt

Hi,

I have planning permission for a one off bungalow, 3 bedroom very simple design. I'm going the self build route because I know a lot of good sub contractors. I will be employing sub contractors for the foundation, plumbing and electrics. The external walls are traditional 4 inch block cavity wall. I know I would be able to build the external and internal walls and the timber work for the roof myself with help from my brother. Im not a block layer, but I've a lot of experience from labouring on house builds in the past.

I would be able to do the work to a very high standard but Im wondering is there any regulations/laws in Ireland stopping me from physically doing this work myself? Any issues for getting house insurance once the house is built?

I will have an engineer check and certify all stages.

I estimate I will be able to afford the build from savings plus a loan from the CU, but that's only if I can do the block laying and roofing myself.

Thanks.

it's not just about insurance, it is also about your ability to resell in the future or for anyone who inherits it to be able to resell. If you were getting a mortgage then you'd need to get an engineer to certify at various stages and I'd assume the same will be needed here for insurance, selling purposes and also your own peace of mind that the roof isn't going to cave in at the first storm !!

I will have an engineer check and certify all stages.

it's not just about insurance, it is also about your ability to resell in the future or for anyone who inherits it to be able to resell. If you were getting a mortgage then you'd need to get an engineer to certify at various stages and I'd assume the same will be needed here for insurance, selling purposes and also your own peace of mind that the roof isn't going to cave in at the first storm !!
:rolleyes:

I would be able to do the work to a very high standard but Im wondering is there any regulations/laws in Ireland stopping me from physically doing this work myself? Any issues for getting house insurance once the house is built?
Nope, no issues. Many people in Ireland self-build. The exception is electrical work, but you've already said you'll be sub-contracting that, so you're set there.

There are a number of self-build sites and groups. Spend time reading those in advance and get the design and details right first time. You often hear stories of people regretting their choice of heating, or not running enough tv or network points, sockets, etc., or putting them in the wrong places.

Back