New BMW316i

Just traded from a 99 E36 316i ( 1.6L ) to E46 318 ci ( 1.9L )
You just cannot compare and I dont think the 1.6L eng will be in any way satisfactory on the larger 06 saloon. But the E36 316 only had 101 Bhp as far as I remember so 115 Bhp may help compensate. Only a test drive will tell though!

The 316i should do very well here. But it is totally underpowered. In most European markets people wouldn't even consider a 316i but I suppose they aren't ripped off in the way we are in Ireland. In fairness though a lot of the people buying them in Ireland would be buying them purely for the BMW badges and of course the quality of the car.(and then there will be those that will debadge them so they don't have 316i on the back - does that fool anybody!!??) I've just seen the new pics for the new 3series coupe. Nice looking car. Its got a 6series look about it and the starting model will initially be a 325i which won't please a lot of the existing 318ci and 320ci owners.

The new 3 series coupe should ne nice. They will probably introduce a 320ci at some stage. Correct -A lot of existing customers out there...

I have a 1.6 316i compact 1998. I don't think it is underpowered. I have had smaller engine cars in the past so it seems fine to me. My next car is deffo another BMW. Can't understand people buying over piced VW Golfs when they can get a quality car like BMW.

If it's the 115bhp 1.6 litre that I think it is then it will be also appearing in the facelifted Mini Cooper.
A detuned version of this engine and 1.4 litre version will appear in Peugeot and Citreon cars in the next year as well.
If it's the 115bhp engine I think it is it will be a state of the art engine with exceptional fuel economy but I still wouldn't even consider buying an entry level 316 as they'll be the hardest to shift in two to three years time.

Dipole said:
But I still wouldn't even consider buying an entry level 316 as they'll be the hardest to shift in two to three years time.

Would have thought they'd be easier to shift precisely because of the engine(tax, insurance, running costs, badge).

I bought a 6 year old E46 323 (2.5 litre) earlier this year for a song because the seller simply couldn't get a buyer due to the engine size, 318s of similar vintage/spec were selling all day long for €6k to €8k more!

There's a very good reason we're getting 316s and that's demand. Personally i wouldn't bother paying a premium for a bmw with a very low powered engine but a lot more people buy because of the badge rather than the driving dynamics.

Hi,

Has anyone any updated opinions on the 2006 316i v 318i debate?

Looking around now to change my 2002 316i - currently trying to make a deal for Jan 2007 and not too sure which model to buy. I only have 32K miles on my own now.

Test drove the new 316i again recently and was very disapointed with the performance. The inside of the car is a let down too....

There has always been a 1.6l 3 Series-yes?

Not correct the last model BMW 316 ( E46 99-06 ) had a 1.8l engine. All the names had bumped up engines up to the 323 which had a 2.5l engine.

The older model again ( E36 to 99) ,recognised easiest by the rect shaped head lights, had engines as per names.

As far as i was aware, the E36 was the last to have the 1.6 engine. The E46 318 (not 316) was a 1.9litre til late 03 when the E46 facelift model was released which cannot be purchased with engine size less than a 2 litre.

I drive the facelift model Ci. Very strong, powerful car-my fourth BMW. Nothing else on the road comes close....apart from a ferrari!

Have to agree the interior of the new 316 is disappointing.. trims etc. very plastic - like. However from a space point of view it feels a lot roomier inside than my current one. Looks like one would have to upgrade to the walnut trim for to improve it. More costs !!

Back