Network of privately run Speed Safety Cameras Nov 2010: Locations & Effectiveness

Are all the go safe vans white? I passed a van sitting parked which had that box thing on top of it's roof this morning. The van was red. So my question is was it go safe or garda that'll have possibly caught me doing about 2 kilometers per hour over the limit?

All the go safe vans I have seen have been white. I saw one in Tulsk, Co. Roscommon about 3 weeks ago and it was fairly clearly a safety camera van. (And it was in a great spot - dangerous chicane style bend on the way into Tulsk from the West)

All the go safe vans I have seen have been white. I saw one in Tulsk, Co. Roscommon about 3 weeks ago and it was fairly clearly a safety camera van. (And it was in a great spot - dangerous chicane style bend on the way into Tulsk from the West)

Yeah Pauly,

all the ones I've seen previously have been white but this one was def red. It had that box on top at the back but I didn't notice any markings cos I was in shock at seeing that it was a red van.

@Complainer - Not really no because I am a responsible driver. I genuinely don't think that drifting 8% over the speed limit on an arrow straight, empty road is a danger. I was caught, fair and square but again, I was referring to the "fish in a barrel" mentality that it seems pervaded. This was and is and hopefully will be my only offence.

On to go safe vans.

I have seen the go safe vans in some good spots and some ridiculous ones. I saw one between the first roundabout on the old airport road and the turn off for Airside retail park which I think from memory is a 50 zone and one of those where you're constantly under pressure from behind to speed up. I think the NRA could do with improving that stretch in some way (Not sure how). I've also seen one quite regularly on the Charlestown bypass in Mayo just before the turn off for Knock Airport Westbound. This one is one of the more ridiculous ones as again, straight, high quality road.

I think they'd be better served enforcing the speed limit between Castlebar and Westport as there are some very dodgy bends which IMHO should be reduced to an 80km/h limit instead of 100km/h all the way.

@Complainer - Not really no because I am a responsible driver. I genuinely don't think that drifting 8% over the speed limit on an arrow straight, empty road is a danger. I was caught, fair and square but again, I was referring to the "fish in a barrel" mentality that it seems pervaded. This was and is and hopefully will be my only offence.
If you keep driving at 8% over the speed limit, it won't be your only offence. Come back when you have 6 or 8 points, and see if you're planning on changing your driving habits then.

ah yes the old holier than thou attitude Complainer! How exactly does "drifting 8% over the speed limit on an arrow straight, empty road" equate to "keep driving at 8% over the speed limit"? Are you actually addressing the point made by PaulyB63 or just using his post as a flimsy excuse to make your statement? Have you ever drifted over the speed limit yourself Complainer?

So it will only be if you get caught and get up to 6 or 8 points that you will change your own driving habits then? You don't actually have a problem with the offence (seeing as you do it yourself every time you get into the car)? You certainly seemed to be lecturing PaulyB on the offence rather than the fact he is not just shutting up about it!

@Complainer - By the sounds of things you are an irresponsible driver. If you are as you say, drifting over the speed limit every time you get into the car, then this says a lot about you.... Not me!!

Anyway... I have just seen another Safety Camera van and it was on the stretch between, Castlebar and Westport.... Just where I said it should be.... Now if they just lower the limit to 80km/h for whole sections of that road, then I would see this as an effective campaign to increase safety on our roads!

@Complainer - By the sounds of things you are an irresponsible driver. If you are as you say, drifting over the speed limit every time you get into the car, then this says a lot about you.... Not me!!
Every driver in every car breaks speed limits in Dublin city on every journey.

So it will only be if you get caught and get up to 6 or 8 points that you will change your own driving habits then? You don't actually have a problem with the offence (seeing as you do it yourself every time you get into the car)? You certainly seemed to be lecturing PaulyB on the offence rather than the fact he is not just shutting up about it!

I asked some questions to probe his position - no lecturing was involved.

I am a careful driver who keeps a close eye on my speed however as with any driver sometimes my speed does creep above the limit due to hills etc. I realise that these speed cameras take a snp shot of a persons speed and then are sent to the Garda for processing. Why can as part of the processing proceedure can it not be that the gardai examine past images of the same driver to determine if it's routine that the said driver breaks the speed limit or was it simply a moment of lapsed concentration on speed? Ie. 2 strikes and you are fined as oppossed to the current we spot you one kmph over you're done for.

All details are stored I assume when a driver is spotted over the limit, so how much harder could it be to compare two images?

Anyone out there agree.

I will repeat what I said earlier, Surely you shoud not get done for drifting the speed slightly

"Have you noticed that now that we are using km/ph which are smaller graduations than mph, how quickly the speed can rise and fall, which requires us to look at the speed more frequent, which means that we are looking at the road less.

Are all the go safe vans white? I passed a van sitting parked which had that box thing on top of it's roof this morning. The van was red. So my question is was it go safe or garda that'll have possibly caught me doing about 2 kilometers per hour over the limit?

The Go Safe vans are all white with the high-vis markings, but the Gardai are still opperating their own vans which are not so visibly marked, at least one of which is red.
Leo

As far as I know, some of these private vans (without markings) are not just for catching speeding traffic, they also have to carry out speed surveys as part of their contract, as i noticed one of these vans right at the 120 KM/H on the Clonee Bypass as I was heading northbound

The Go Safe vans are all white with the high-vis markings, but the Gardai are still opperating their own vans which are not so visibly marked, at least one of which is red.
Leo

Hi Leo, not all Go Safe Vans are White, whilst they are white in Adverts on TV they are in different colours with markings. I have seen these vans in Red & Blue also, some with High Vis and some not

One of the issues I've noticed is that camera notices are going up at places where crashes have occurred, but were caused by drink-driving, which has absolutely no relation.

I also have to wonder why the Gardaí have retained their vans. We've invested millions in outsourcing policiing to this private company for some bizarre reason, we should be selling off what's left to make back some of it.

Back