Motor Need advice on Car insurance - not resident until March

DevilBoy

Hi,

I currently work away in the Isle of Man (have been there ca. 1.5 years). I come home at the weekends as my wife & family are here in Dublin.

From October onwards, I'm going to be consulting here a couple of days a week, but still Isle of Man based. I'll move back here permanently at the end of Feb / start of March next year - as my new job starts here then.

We need to get a 2nd car, as we've got 3 x kids, and I'll need to get around when I'm back.

I'm guessing that getting a policy as (currently) non-resident may be difficult - but I will be back over as a resident (and will be in the country more than 185 days) during the next 12 months.

My wife has made some initial enquiries and it's difficult for her to be set up on a 2nd car (as policy holder) with me as a named driver.

Haven't bought a car yet, but probably something 7-8 years old, and not more than a 2ltr diesel - ca. 10k budget.

I'd appreciate any advice / pointers / recommendations.

Many thanks,

DB

Why are you even stating you are non-resident?. Assuming you have an Irish licence with an Irish reg car which is parked at an Irish address when you are not using it and which you will only be driving when you are in Ireland there should be no issue,

@ thedaddyman - I suppose that I want to make sure that there are no issues - if there was some type of problem / accident. Am unsure if residency, is an issue or not - but want to be sure before I start ringing around.

@ Guns & Roses - because the (current) insurance firm (AA) have said that the she'd need to start a new policy from scratch (therefore no NCB).

@ Guns & Roses - because the (current) insurance firm (AA) have said that the she'd need to start a new policy from scratch (therefore no NCB).

I don't think you can use your NCD on the second policy whether you or your wife are the policy holder. You should check first with your insurance company. Personally I would think you are better off for your wife to take out her own policy. As a women driver, the increased premium shouldn't be that much more expensive. You should mention that you have an existing policy with the AA and you will be shopping around if they don't give you a good deal.

There's already a previous thread on Boards.ie about this.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142708

I have arranged that both mine and my wife's policy are always due for renewal at the same time and I always get a good deal with AXA as a result.

Last edited:
Back