Need advice about arrears - bad credit rating

niamho

Hi all,

I'm going to make this as short as possible any hope someone can offer some advice;

In 2014, I maxed out my credit card (e2000). I was paying back min amounts and in August 2014, prior to a move abroad, I paid off e500 (stupidly thinking this would "cover me" for a few months). When I was settled in the new country, by Jan 2015, I started paying what i thought were min repayments - however I was paying e50 when I should have been paying e55.

Here's where it gets a bit tricky. I received two letters on Saturday May 16th, one dated May 5th, the other May 12th. The letter dated May 5th was the first correspondence I received from the bank about the arrears, despite the fact that I had phoned recently for various reasons (including to cancel my credit card after a burglary). the letters were delayed presumably because they were going overseas. The bank hadn't changed the records of my new number and were not able to contact me about the arrears by phone because of this (someone in customer care said they had tried to contact me via phone, but had the wrong (not updated) number).

In the end, they cancelled my card and gave my a bad credit rating/grade despite my offering to pay off the whole amount.

I am now in the process of moving home and realizing that this bad rating will affect my ability to get a mortgage and probably other things. Should I speak to a solicitor about getting the debt expunged? Do I have a leg to stand on? I feel the fact that the letters came late and the mess-up with the phone number on their part could stand to me?

Any advice would be massively appreciated. The irony is, I can't even open a saving account with this bank now to transfer a large lump sum of savings because of this incident.

Have you paid off the full amount?

Are you saying that the arrears were only €5 a month for a few months? Which you thought that the €500 "advance payment" would cover?

It's hard to get through the red tape at banks, but if you are telling the complete story, then they might correct the ICB record.

I see no advantage at all in getting a solicitor involved. There is no legal case and it would only complicate matters.

It's not the banks fault that you did not understand the credit card rules. It's not their fault that you were difficult to contact.

As it's only a minor blip, if you otherwise meet the mortgage requirements, Pepper will give you a mortgage, but it will be a bit more expensive than a mainstream lender would charge.

Brendan

Thanks for the quick reply Brendan. To clarify; I paid nothing from September 2014 (after the €500 lump that I thought would cover me for a few months) until Jan 2015. I then paid €50 a month -€5 less that minimum. They cancelled my credit card in may (every month that I didn't pay €55 was cumulated, so instead of being €25 in arrears for those 5 months, I was regarded as €275 in arrears).

If not with a solicitor, how would you suggest I proceed? I pled my case in 2015 after the cancellation but they were unwilling to change their decision.

By the way, it was their fault that I was difficult to contact and they admitted such - I rang them to change my details but they didn't change them accceoss all departments (so credit card dept didn't have updated details while current did - I don't understand how that's even possible).

Have you paid off the full amount?

Are you saying that the arrears were only €5 a month for a few months? Which you thought that the €500 "advance payment" would cover?

It's hard to get through the red tape at banks, but if you are telling the complete story, then they might correct the ICB record.

I see no advantage at all in getting a solicitor involved. There is no legal case and it would only complicate matters.

It's not the banks fault that you did not understand the credit card rules. It's not their fault that you were difficult to contact.

As it's only a minor blip, if you otherwise meet the mortgage requirements, Pepper will give you a mortgage, but it will be a bit more expensive than a mainstream lender would charge.

Brendan

A solicitor is not going to help you in any way, as you have no legal case.

Have you now cleared the balance in full?

Brendan

No, I haven't paid it off yet, still doing it monthly. I offered to pay it off but they said it would make no difference.

Brendan

You mentioned earlier that I could potentially have this cleared front ICB. Now that you have more details, do you think this could still be possible? And how would someone go about clearing their ICB record? Through the bank or ICB?

Thanks, any info would be great.

Brendan

I offered to pay it off but they said it would make no difference.
No surprise there from the bank. Remember they make money on the interest charged so if they feel you can pay they would not encourage it. First things first, if you can afford to pay it off do so immediately.

They actually told me that it was interest free after it was cancelled so there wouldn't be any point paying it back in one lump. Is this true??

No surprise there from the bank. Remember they make money on the interest charged so if they feel you can pay they would not encourage it. First things first, if you can afford to pay it off do so immediately.

What is on your statement? Does it show interest being applied? What interest rate is it showing?

You will want to make a case for getting a mortgage to either this lender or some other lender and you have a credit card which has been marked as in default and you are not taking the necessary steps to clear that default?

It might suggest to me that you do not have the basic understanding of money which is necessary to manage a large debt like a mortgage.

The sooner you pay off your credit card in full, the sooner the clock will start on cleaning your ICB record.

Brendan

Back