Nct Smoke

joeysully

Hi

Have a '90 starlet
has a lot of smoke commin out of it, not so bad when revving stopped but much worse when pullin off from lights
have NCT comming up how do i temperaroly reduce emmissions
was told to put parfin oil in petrol but was also advised not to

joeysully said:
have NCT comming up how do i temperaroly reduce emmissions

I don't know ... but why do you want a temporary solution ? are you happy to pollute and damage the environment :mad:
NCT is there for good reasons: your safety, my safety and protection the environment by controlling emission.

I have to agree with baccus on this one,there's no quick fix for an engine thats smoking that badly.:(

Hi Joey, I had a 91 micra at one stage and you could adjust the mix of fuel going into the engine via an adjuster on top of the engine. I don't know if the same applys to the starlet but I think most older car had this. Do you find it a bit heavy on petrol? If so you might be able to get a mechanic to run it a bit leaner. You might need to put it on a gas bench to make sure the emissions are ok. I would prefer an older mechanic to do it as the new "technicians" may not now what to do!!!!!:) A friend or maybe a friend of a friend if you know what I mean.

No bacchus im actually very environmentally freindly, but most likely the piston rings are worn and replacement will cost as much as aa new old car so just not a option fo me.

Aidomoss, I brought it to a very old garage man who took a look at it cut it back and put in some 20W oil designed for deisel engine which helped a bit, but its still quiet bad as are most cars of its age.

There is stuff you can add to the diesel that helps clean out the engine - can't remember the name but any motor factors have it!! I even know some people added a bit of petrol to the diesel in the car to reduce reduce emmissions.

Have her piping hot going into the NCT and go for a good hard drive the day before. Maybe she has been driven easy and needs to be cleaned out.

Best of luck with the NCT

joey run it throught the NCT the fault will come up and just get the faults fixed

Friend of mine failed due to poor emmissions.He then went to the garage and they advised him to drive around in 3rd gear for a while and that would clear it. He then passed the NCT.

Back