naas road speed limit

E

EAMONN66

i was gobsmacked over the weekend to see a 60kph 35mph limit on the naas road all the way to naas. what are they playing at as this limit is totally inappropriate for this stretch of road. not one car was travelling in either direction at less than 50mph, whatever the hell that is in kph. this willl cause more accidents than it will prevent as people will be looking out for the cops instead of looking where thy are going. whoever sets these things had a perfect opportunity to review all the daft limits and make some positive changes, instead they have gone for the easy ass-covering option.

It is going to be that speed (40mph btw) whilst the road works are continuing, which is next July at least. The reason given is that the road is or will actually be narrower than before and will get more so as the works go on.

So the other side of the coin is that I see crazy drivers sticking the boot down at 100kph + not realising there's not much room for error.

Daft Speed Limit on the N7 in Kildare.

Eamonn,

I agree with you the speed limit on the Co Kildare part of the "Dualer" is just plain daft!

I think that the power to set speed limits should be moved from the local authorities (they can still erect and maintain them) and moved to a national body such as the NRA.

ajapale

Re: Daft Speed Limit on the N7 in Kildare.

I think that the power to set speed limits should be moved from the local authorities (they can still erect and maintain them) and moved to a national body such as the NRA.
I agree totally. There are towns all aroung the country where the old 60 zone is miles out from the town for no reasonable reason. Local pressure I would say. Therefore take the power away from where pressure can be put.

We went down that road on Saturday and back on Sunday. The 60km/h limit is very very low, but by Sunday afternoon there were traffic cones up along the Dublin bound carriageway, so it looks like they are starting work now. I guess that's a road to be avoided for the next 6 months??

I also agree with this. There is no uniformity across the country. I recall reading how the speed limit on the Glen of the Downs road was reduced from it's original after the works were finished because the planning applications for the land bordering the new road would have been refused based on developments exiting on to a 60mph zone so the limit was reduced to 50mph. I don't know how true this was but it shows how the decisions can be corrupt if it is not managed by a national authority. The N7 particularly galls me as it is a wider road than the M50 yet has a reduced speed limit.

Re: Re: Daft Speed Limit on the N7 in Kildare.

There is a discussion about this over on the boards dot ie site.
I have posted the name and email address of the person responsible for this decision, and have already received a number of replies from local councillors who agree how crap this is.

I have no real problem with the limit if there are road works, and there are work men there, but as a user only on the weekend, I have yet to see one.
Besides, the road works are only on a small part of the road so far.

Back