Mystery shopper

Poster1738

Hi all, I was looking into being a mystery shopper as a side job. I've read into the role and think it would be something I'd be good at. I am also employed full time in the HSE - does anyone know if this would affect my employment if I also do part-time self employed tax at the end of the year? Not too sure if I'm phrasing that right but hope it makes sense!

It depends firstly on your contract of employment. In some cases, an employment contract may require you to ask permission to ensure there is no conflict of interest or that you are not exposing anything on your main employer. hence that needs to be your starting point.

In one HSE job I had to fill in a form detailing my part-time hours elsewhere, supposedly for Working Time Directive hours calculation. I declared it in and never heard another word about it.

I did mystery shopping years ago when I was a student. It was a bit of fun but the pay wasn't great.

Hi Poster,

How many hours per month are you planning on doing and what income would you expect for these hours - just wondering how mystery shopping compares with the minimum wage?

Hello,

Maybe things have improved in this sector, but years ago, it was a terrible (part time) job.

You'd get communications at short notice, to go to certain specified stores and make purchases (of very specific items), and with tight deadlines to complete the task.

Receipts were collected and submitted to get refund on items purchased, with payment of out of pocket expenses often slow to be refunded to you.

Any errors (ie the wrong size bar of chocolate etc.) or missed deadlines for completing the task and uploading required evidence of item purchased, and you were out of pocket.

Between the value of my personal time, the commute costs to specified shops, and the unreasonable notice periods, plus tight deadlines that were imposed, I'd be very slow to encourage anyone to get into this, tbh.

Back