Myhome? or am I daft

Cityliving

I`ve been looking to advestise my property for sale and have thought about just sticking it up on Daft and not going through an agent. Having read each site (I admit I look at myhome first myself when I look for places) they both seem to claim they are the most popular etc. Am I wasting my time having a punt rather than going through established estate agents and hence myhome.

EAgents say that their costs for just advestising (web, handouts etc) are approx €1200 without a sale but surely for €1200 I could stick it on daft and as most people probably use web now I could just print out a few handouts myself at Snap/Reads or whatever and still have change. I know that EAgents do lots more - show around etc but I have flexbility to do this and that`d save me €5000-€7500 ontop of the €1200.

Can I really do it or am I Daft? (sorry for the pun!)

Have you considered [broken link removed] I think these charge a one off fee of €195,

Theres an EA in my area that have a sign in the window says "no sale - no fees". Maybe there are others that do the same?

Theres an EA in my area that have a sign in the window says "no sale - no fees". Maybe there are others that do the same?

Come on, use your head - the EA has a vested interest in getting your house sold regardless of the price if you go this route.!!!

Most EAs would operate under that model-bear in mind that the cost of advertising would more than likely be a 'cost' or 'outlay' as opposed to 'fee'.

I feel too that the EA who would operate on a no win no fee would sell at a lower price than others.

The reason I am thinking of doing it is that EAs I`ve spoken ot are trying to make me sell at a low price - And I`m not being greedy either- they say that its a tough market and that (oh my God) they have to work really hard to sell a place. An unamed top EA company representative actually said that to me, I almost fell off my chair.

At a total cost of 7500 I feel that the EA represents poor value.

I sold my house in Moate Co Westmeath via Daft a couple of years ago.

The ad was active for around 8 weeks. Compare that to the fact that the ad was on Myhome.ie for almost 7 months in which time it secured precisely zero interest. Mind you the Athlone-based estate agent that placed the ad on MyHome.ie was of the muppet variety, utterly useless.

My advice is give Daft a try, without employing an estate agent if you feel comfortable to show the property yourself. In the end I employed an agent to show the property but it was the ad in Daft that secured the interest in the first place.

I think if your looking to shift the property quickly then use an EA, most will put the ad on myhome and daft, pay the extra for the ad in the newspapers etc. Things are slow and the quicker you can shift it the better. If your not in a rush then maybe try yourself but factor in the time and energy you might have to put into it and it'll work out cheaper having the EA do it! We had 6 EA view our house and got a great offer of .65% of sale price, no charge for the ads online, but we paid for ad in newspaper. Best of luck!

Back