My sister wants to sell the family home, but I don't

"squatting" does not mean not paying rent. It means living in an unoccupied house without paying rent.

From dictionary.com

As he was there with the permission of his father, he was not squatting.

and from wikipedia

My understanding is, OP's father had no will, therefore the estate goes into probate so as such OP has no claim to it until probate is completed.

My understanding is, OP's father had no will, therefore the estate goes into probate so as such OP has no claim to it until probate is completed.

I'm not sure what your point is but OP has a beneficial interest ( i.e. a claim) in the property as he is a beneficiary in his late fathers estate. He could not sell or charge his share of the property until probate is granted certainly but he does have an interest.

mf

WicklowMan - first off my sympathies for your recent bereavement.

So here's my take on it:

Your Soltr says you can sit as you are for about a year and your sister "think the place is worth 300k."

So, do nothing for the next 12 months; continue working on your home in Tipp & get it finished off. In a years time, put the house on the market at your sister's valuation - most likely it won't sell and she'll have to re-evalute what she wants to do.

Back