My IP address has been banned?!

Discussion in 'How to use Askaboutmoney' started by amtc, Jul 25, 2016.

1. amtc

amtc Frequent Poster

I'm not particularly aware of posting anything inflammatory but if I try to access the site from home, am getting that my IP address is banned....

I'm ok in work...can anyone help?

2. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Hi amtc

Sorry about that.

We are being plagued by spammers, mainly from the Far East, and have banned their IP addresses. It seems as if some genuine posters have got caught in the crossfire.

What ISP do you use?

Could you email me your IP address. Brendan at this website.

Click on http://whatismyipaddress.com/ to find your IP address

Brendan

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. elcato

elcato Moderator

They (the service provider) may be dynamic IP addresses which change every few days.

4. newirishman

newirishman Frequent Poster

In case you don't know what your IP address is (or an IP address for that matter) - just use google to ask "what is my IP address" and it should tell you right there and then!

Dynamic IP addresses are very often quite static, especially on broadband connections....

5. Blinder

Blinder Frequent Poster

@OP. Do you use Hola or some other VPN proxy? If so, you might have been blacklisted because you are shared your 'public ip' with other users that might be up to no good.
    Disabling the hola plugin for askaboutmoney will work ( without mods here having to let the spammers back in)

6. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Hi Blinder

That might explain it. Could you elaborate a bit more in simple terms what that means.

Why would a domestic user use a VPN proxy?

Brendan

7. amtc

amtc Frequent Poster

It's a fairly straightforward and secured virgin media connection - I'll check the ip when I get home and mail you

8. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

OK, I had banned IP addresses beginning with 188. which is used by Virgin Media.

I have now unbanned that IP address, so please confirm that you can all fully access the site now.

Brendan

9. username123

username123 Frequent Poster

If you want to appear to come from a different country so that you can access region-specific content. Its pretty common.

10. hazelgreen

hazelgreen Frequent Poster

I was banned from yesterday and up to this morning, all well now. Yes we are Virgin media customer.

11. amtc

amtc Frequent Poster

Yep. Can access now.

12. CiaranT

CiaranT .

Hi Brendan,

Do you think unbanning IP addresses beginning with 188 has solved all the IP access issues?

13. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Hi Ciaran

I would guess so.

One of the people who emailed me directly didn't give their IP address. The other said it was 180. but it turned out to be a typo. they too were a Virgin customer 188.

Brendan

14. amtc

amtc Frequent Poster

Mine is 188....working grand now

15. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

We are still getting a lot of Asian spammers with an IP address of 188. I don't understand how it works, but I presume that there isn't anything I can do about it?

If I ban 188 - I ban a lot of genuine customers.

Brendan

16. JohnJay

JohnJay Frequent Poster

maybe you could look at the next part of the subnet Brendan? I mean the 188.xxx The genuine Virgin IP addresses may share the same xxx, if you understand what I mean.

I am a Virgin customer but my IP address is one of the old 89.100.xxx.xxx ones. I think most of them started with 89.100 at the time.

17. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

OK John. I will check the next few to see if they share a second element in common.

Brendan

18. amtc

amtc Frequent Poster

Mine is 141

19. Branz

Branz Frequent Poster

Kids use them to bypass parental controls and schools have the same issue.

20. MugsGame

MugsGame Frequent Poser