Mulcher for Hedges

Gimme

I have a grisilinia hedge and disposing the cuttings is a bigger job then actually cutting the hedge. I was thinking a getting a mulcher/shredder and was wondering if any of you had any recommendations? I would need something that would cut the light twigs and leaves as well as the thicker branches.

Have any of you used something that you would recommend?

try your local hire shop first. I've tried mulchers in the past with mixed success. now I just bag the clippings and bring them to my local free green recycling facility

P

Monty Don (BBC Gardeners World) suggested spreading cuttings out on the lawn, leaving the collection box off the mower go over and back on the cuttings until they are small enough. Then gather up the more manageable result with the mower box attached. Be sure to wear goggles just in case.

I bought a garden shredder from Lidl two years ago and find it quite good. I only take it out about twice a year but it's great for breaking down shrub cuttings, twigs, small branches etc. It cost about €125 at the time. They usually repeat the offers like this so I'd expect to see it instore again soon. A similar shreeder from argos costs about €200 and is home delivery only from what I remember.

I have a shredder and find it good for shrubs like fuschia, etc. provided they are a bit dried off, otherwise it jams a lot. I too have a ever too fast growing griselinia but find its very moist and soggy and doesn't shred well at all for mulching. I too bag them and bring them to the green centre.

Back