Moving Job - advice on Agencies

Gabriel

Hi all,

I'm planning on moving jobs soon. Like a few people before me I'm ever so slightly disillusioned with Software Development...but not to the extent that I want to get out entirely.

What I'm looking to do is merge my people skills with my IT background and perhaps move into a consultancy role...a technical sales person...or a liason between techies and customer. Something along those lines anyway. I've seen a handful of jobs that fit my requirements.

I have a J2EE background for the last year and a half.

I've always found in the past that unless you say 'Java Developer' to a recruitment agency they just don't know what to do with you...so you invariably go to the bottom of the pile...or at best, start receiving all sorts of weird and wonderful jobs :(

So I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any particular agencies which are perhaps a bit more tech savvy and might understand what I'm looking for?

Many thanks for any help.

Firstly, having had dealings with a lot of recruitment companies, there's not one that I can recommend. And I've had 3 of them place me in different positions, and I've worked with one of them, but none of them can I recommend.

The best advice I can give, from experience of working both sides of the fence, is that if you're trying to "find" your position, i.e. something that's not a specific easily definable role, then you're better off doing this on your own.

Decide what it is that you want to do. Have a look around the internet to find companies that are involved in what you're looking for. Find contacts through friends, contacts in the business. Formulate your CV to punt yourself specifically for the job you're looking for. And approach the company directly (either on the basis of just a meeting, or seeking any available roles).

It is highly unlikely that most of the recruitment agencies (and particularly the IT ones) will do anything more than match keywords in their job specs with the buzzwords in your CV.

Thanks Ronan...I fear you're probably right so I'll just plod on as I am and focus on individual companies too.

Thanks for the advice.

why are you disillusioned with software development, is it that you are getting tired of doing it? J2EE is in high demand these days, with a good salary to match. But obviously theres more to life than your wages...

Hi SteelBlue,

I'm just not cut out for sitting at a desk all day programming. It's starting to do my head in a little. I need to have more customer and people involvement.

In J2EE terms I'm fairly junior but doing okay money wise. I just feel like I'd like to move in different areas...project management perhaps. Something that will lead to more senior, decision making roles. That's where my personal strengths lie I feel.

But I'm not ruling out further software development work if I can't find what I'm looking for either mind you. I'm just throwing ideas at myself right now.

Gabriel said:
Hi SteelBlue,

I'm just not cut out for sitting at a desk all day programming. It's starting to do my head in a little. I need to have more customer and people involvement.

In J2EE terms I'm fairly junior but doing okay money wise. I just feel like I'd like to move in different areas...project management perhaps. Something that will lead to more senior, decision making roles. That's where my personal strengths lie I feel.

Yeah, makes sense. Its good you got some programming experience now anyways, I have often found Project Managers and other senior managers dont relate to programming projects well when they themselves have had no experience. That will stand to you as you try to move into a new role. A lot of Project Manager wanna-be's have never even seen code so you can sell that aspect of your experience when trying to land your next role. Good luck with it, I tell you there are a lot of spoofers at senior management level so with your programming backgound and the right personality and org skills you'll move into it easily, getting the first break is always the hardest.

Thanks for that advice :)

I actually have four years softwar development experience...only a year and a half of which were in J2EE though...and I've experienced many a project manager who could barely switch on their computer alright. That kind of thing is very frustrating.

But I'm trying not to limit myself to any one area right now - ie Project Management. I'd certainly like to break into that area mind you.

Haha...sure I might as well try...if there's anyone listening who's looking for an experienced technical person like myself, with strong people skills and a professional manner please contact me if you have any such roles. Thanks.

Gabriel, you could always volunteer your services to the general public via AAM, by becoming a moderator, I hear the salay is zero

Back