Moving back to Greyhound from City Bins

octo

Is anyone else moved back? Here in North Dublin I got a call from Greyhound offering me a cheaper deal, 13 Euro/month v. 15 for City. Anyway, just wondering if people had any hassle getting City to take back their bins. Do you think it's worthwhile? Would I be expected to pay a charge?

there's a thread on boards.ie about this. Some people who had left Greyhound were getting offers of 75e for the year (all bins) so that 13e a month seems high by comparison.
I recently renewed with Greyhound for the year for 120e all in

I've had then on the phone a few times (despite asking them to stop calling me !)

... I will never forget what a disgraceful service they delivered and how much hassle they caused me. There were numerous others who also had bad experiences.

Do some research on past experiences with Grayhound before you even dare to consider moving to them is my suggestion :)

Have never used them myself but my mother does and I know that they did appear to benefit greatly in the past on the 'going over weight' aspect. Has this changed in their new charges?

... I will never forget what a disgraceful service they delivered and how much hassle they caused me. There were numerous others who also had bad experiences.

I was one of those people, and posted about it here. To be fair, however, after an initial period of fairly major problems, they did settle down, and I've had no issues since, though I don't like the way you cannot get a full account history statement online.

They offered a number of options towards the end of last year. I rang them with a query on it in January, only to be told the renewal amount was lower then the notice they'd sent me. Some deal for the full year, no weight restrictions. Anyway, I went with it after they'd confirmed there would be no further charges for the year. So far, so good. It did strike me however, that if I hadn't queried it, I may well have paid a higher amount. Unfortunately I don't still have that notification, nor do I have the figure I did pay to hand, so I can't say how much it was.

Greyhound were abysmal to deal with. After a few months of their service I swiftly moved to Thorntons and haven't regretted my decision.

Just had a caller at the door from Greyhound (in Raheny are) offering 12 euro monthly service, no weight restrictions and" guaranteeing a first class service". Apparently they are under new management as well. Offer looks good (ish) . However, thet confirmed the brown bin is smaller than city bin but would offer me two brown bins for the same price. Reading all the above has me wary, but they're offering no contract as well. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Just had a caller at the door from Greyhound (in Raheny are) offering 12 euro monthly service, no weight restrictions....

Thats pretty much what I get from City Bin, infact It's €140 per year ... again, no weight restrictions and thankfully, a far better customer experience than I ever had with Greyhound, so there's no way I'd be even entertaining a discussion to be quite honest.

Even if Greyhound offered me a 12-month rate at half the price, I'd be very slow to consider going back to them after my past experience.

They maybe under new management, but they are still under the same ownership (I think) and the owners didn't seem to care in the slightest, about the way their customers were being treated in times past ... infact, I know from personally triying to contact one of them a few years ago when I was a customer, that they had no interest in even acknowledging my letters or returning my calls.

I would sugest a quick phone call to Citybin, tell them the offer you've got from Greyhound and ask them to match it - odds are, they will as they did not have a problem giving me the price quoted above, infact they offered it in return for me paying annually, which I was more than happy to do.

....What can go wrong...:rolleyes:

Eh,

Dare I suggest you:

- read some of the past discussion threads on Greyhound,

- or consider what might happen if the dispute with their staff kicks off again and they go back out on strike perhaps ? (granted, thats a risk with any company, but Greyhound do have form ;))

Thanks Mr Earl, I think I will give Citybin a call, I'm quite happy with them, and if they match the offer (I'm paying €15pm) I'll stay. PS; the what could go wrong was somewhat sarcastic on my part!

Could anyone tell me what Thorntons are charging in Dublin & for what? I suspect that I'm paying substantially more in Meath & it would be great to hear what the charge in Dublin is as a comparison. Thanks.

thorntons have three bin types.

green = recyclables = free
brown = food (i think) = 4.50 a lift

black = other random stuff like batterys = 9.00 to lift

I've been a happy customer of Thorntons for well over 7 years ago now, reasonable lift charges as post 16 above with no weight restrictions.

Got an email from today, they're increasing their lift charges from 8th June:

Brown bin 4.90, up from 4.50
Black bin 9.90, up from 9 euro

Ok, waste disposal costs going up etc etc.....fair enough.

The thing that's maddening me is that they say there's no weight restrictions but in small print below the new charges, they've added this:

* Please note there is a surcharge on the waste bin of 20c per Kg for all bins over 40kg.

I'm the only user of my waste bin in my household and my bin averages out at 49kg per lift every 7-8 weeks or so, nothing strange going into the bin but normal waste that can't go into the brown or green bins.

Good luck to any family trying to keep their black bin under 40kgs per lift!!

Greyhound and City Bin are also in my area..........time to shop around!

Sue Ellen, thanks for reminding me, stuck for another while so :(

City Bin state on their website that at their discretion, they can add a 30 cent surcharge for any bin over 30kgs, even worse than Thorntons!

Official weight restrictions aren't due to be introduced until 2016.

So, Thorntons and City Bin, no weight restrictions then? Rubbish! :mad:

Back