mortgage unpaid by late parents

ennis man

hi everyone
in new here.In the 90s my parents got a mortgage of 30,000pounds on our family home.My late grandmother gave my parents the site for the house years earlier and was never signed over to my parents,when the mortgage was got my grandmother and parents promised to execute all nesseary documents.This wasnt done so the mortgage could not be registered on the folio by permanent tsb.

My grandmother past away in 2002 and my mother in 1998 and my father in 2007.Id one surviving uncle in my grandmothers house hes since past november of last year.

theres a bill now of 232,000euro im wondering if the bank have any right to the property mortgage owed since 1994.Im slow to do change of transfer for the fear theyll take the lot.
theres my parents house,a site and my grandmothers cottage on the folio

Last edited:
wasnt there estate though brendan,the ownership to 3 properties are still in my great grandfathers name.After he past away in the 50s my grandmother took over the house.My grandmother occupied the property up to her death in 2002.

In the 90s my parents got a mortgage of 30,000pounds on our family home.

Sorry. I don't understand your last post.

From your first post, it appears that your parents borrowed money.
They should have repaid it.
If they didn't, then it should have been repaid out of their estate.

Brendan

If I understand it correctly, your great grandfather is the registered owner on the folio
When he died your grandmother inherited the property but never registered it in her name.
*You dont say if your grandmother was your fathers mother OR your mother's mother*

So here's the questions you need to answer :
Was your grandmother your maternal grandmother or paternal grandmother
Did she have a will when she died. If so who did she leave the property to
How many children did she have ?
How many children were alive when she died ?
When did your parents stop paying the mortgage ?
Did the bank ever obtain a judgment against them in court ?
Are the bank still chasing the money ?

The case is complicated.

Also check statutory limitations. If Bank did not start legal proceedings within 2 years of date of death of borrower they are statute barred.

Back