Mortgage Protection - Sleep Apnea

CelticCross

Hello All,

We have been approved for a mortgage. As part of the mortgage we applied to an organisation outside our bank for dual mortgage protection.

They came back and said my other half would not be covered due to medical reasons. We believe that this occurred as they had severe sleep apnea. Sleep apnea was declared on the mortgage protection application and the GP may have noted it as severe.

As it stands they are offering to cover me on a single life basis. They also noted 'From experience, I know that some lenders can waive the need for life insurance if a customer is declined life cover.'

We have everything else in place in terms if what the bank needs. What are my options now? By the way income by way of ability to repay was primarily based on me, as I am the sole income of the house. And this was a dual mortgage application

1. Will the bank accept the single life basis for mortgage protection? With a waiver for my other half?

2. Are their any banks/organisations offering mortgage protection where one of the applicants has severe sleep apnea.

Thank you for your responses in advance.
CelticCross

You'll just have to check with your bank, banks have the option of offering a waiver under the Consumer Credit Act but it's up to the individual bank as to what their policy is on this so there is no way of generalising as all cases are different. If they don't check other lenders as to what their policy is, it might delay you but needs must!

You've only tried one mortgage protection life insurance provider? Why haven't you tried a few more?

Back