Mortgage protection not needed if LTV <80%?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
From another thread:

"1) do I really need to maintain a life assurance/mortgage protection policy on both our lives to comply with the mortgage? I see from the Consumer Finance website (can't post links as a newbie) that if the "principal balance of your mortgage is scheduled to fall to 80 percent of the original value of your home" you can apply to remove the requirement for private mortgage insurance."

I had not heard that before.

I presume that the lender will insist on it anyway as they won't want the hassle of forcing the estate of the deceased person to sell the house.

Brendan

I wasn't really asking if this is a good idea or not. I want to know if the statement by the poster is correct.

This is the relevant section of the Consumer Credit Act:

126.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, a mortgage lender shall arrange, through an insurer or an insurance intermediary, a life assurance policy providing, in the event of the death of a borrower before a housing loan made by the mortgage lender has been repaid, for payment of a sum equal to the amount of the principal estimated by the mortgage lender to be outstanding in the year in which the death occurs on the basis that payments have been made by the borrower in accordance with the mortgage, such sum to be employed in repayment of the principal.

(2) Subsection (1) shall apply as respects all housing loans except—

(a) where the house in respect of which the loan is made is, in the mortgage lender's opinion, not intended for use as the principal residence of the borrower or of his dependants,

(b) loans to persons who belong to a class of persons which would not be acceptable to an insurer, or which would only be acceptable to an insurer at a premium significantly higher than that payable by borrowers generally,

(c) loans to persons who are over 50 years of age at the time the loan is approved,

(d) loans to persons who, at the time the loan is made, have otherwise arranged life assurance, providing for payment of a sum, in the event of death, of not less than the sum referred to in subsection (1).

I have deleted some posts which discuss the merits of life cover, but feel free to discuss them in another thread.

The purpose of this thread is very specific which is why I moved it from another thread. Is there any basis in the claim that mortgage protection is not mandatory if the LTV is below 80%.

Brendan

Reactions: jim
I never heard of it in all my years of banking since the Consumer Credit Act came in. Makes no sense unless there is a bit missing such as limited time left on mortgage or something.

Edit: Google tells me that statement seems to come from a US based website consumerfinance.gov

I have deleted some posts which discuss the merits of life cover, but feel free to discuss them in another thread.

The purpose of this thread is very specific which is why I moved it from another thread. Is there any basis in the claim that mortgage protection is not mandatory if the LTV is below 80%.

Brendan
No. None at all.

Back