mortgage protection life assurance forms

bobo

Hi, have some queries regarding filling out our mortgage protection life assurance forms. We are both very healthy but as with most people we have had our share of colds, strep throats and chest infections. The forms ask:

"Have you ever had or been advised to have any medical attention, operations, x-rays, tests, investigations or treatment for any of the following: Asthma, bronchitis, sarcoidosis or any other respiratory disorder"

I had a chest infection in December / January which cleared quickly with antibiotics and steroids and my girlfriend had a virus or some other chest infection / illness about 5-6 years ago (nothing serious) and was sent for a chest X-ray (which was clear) and cleared up within weeks (no hospitalisation). Are we being too careful by writing these details onto our mortgage life assurance forms? We don't want to create unnecessary delays for ourselves requiring the life assurance company (hibernian) to obtain doctors reports on the matters etc. What do people advise? I'm inclined to be up front and honest but I'm concerned about delaying our application.

Thanks,
B.

Write down what the illnesses were and the outcome including duration and treatment.

I wouldn't be inclined to write down colds and flu but would write down re chest infections esp. when they have specifically asked re bronchitis and respiratory disorders.

Write down what the illnesses were and the outcome including duration and treatment.

I wouldn't be inclined to write down colds and flu but would write down re chest infections esp. when they have specifically asked re bronchitis and respiratory disorders.

Thanks for that. Is it likely for them to delve further with doctors reports etc and delay the process?

They make look for a medical history report from the dr. but this depends on the underwriter assessing the case.

Make sure you write down the outcome ie 'clear' in terms of the x-ray and hope this is sufficient. It also depends on the type of cover/benefits you're buying. It really is better to disclose all the facts for your own peace of mind. Regarding a drs. report delaying the application you can always ring the dr. and ask him/her to prioritise the report if one is needed.

yes, it is probably best to be honest but word everything carefully so as to discourage further investigation.

Back