Mortgage for Self Build Non Resident

MedDiva

Hi All, I've been reading through threads for awhile now and after being refused a mortgage today I am hoping someone can offer me some advice.
I am a self employed consultant, I work in europe, mainly Germany for the past 4years. My Husband and I applied for a mortgage with EBS for our self build.
We have the site purchased and planning acheived (cost 65k) and substantial savings (100k).
My husband and child returned home to ireland in Jan as we plan to move home permenantly when we've earned enough to be comfortable here. Husband's job is part-time so as our child can be taken care of without huge childminder fees. All was going well with the mortgage application until the bank asked about a loan my husband had back in 2014/2015, it was for approx 3k. Husband had forgotten about it as had I considering back then we were on the breadline as I took ill during pregnancy and husband had to give up work to take care of me and then the child. My job at the time was paying ok but this loan slipped through. My husband is not one for caring about what he owes while I am the one that tries to ensure everything is paid and sometimes paid in advance. So now the underwriters stated that due to this non payment (they said it was registered in 2017) we were not going to be granted the mortgage. Then the mortgage advisor asked if it the mortgage was to go in under my name would it be better, but as I am non tax resident and it is a self build they said no bank in ireland will help us. Is there a way to get a loan to support our build? or is there a way of correcting my husbands credit issue quickly? I have requested a credit history check for him to see where the loan ended up.
As far as I can see... everything was ok with the earnings etc, just his credit history screwed it up even though his salary wasn't being considered in the application at all.

All suggestions and help greatly welcomed!!!!

You should talk to a broker who would advise you on how best to approach this and who would put your case to a few lenders.

Brendan

Back