Mortgage for foreign property

spanners

I know this is a bit of a long shot but thought I would ask in case anyone has any info.

My other half is Spanish and we spend 3-4 months a year there, hence would love to buy a house in area she's from, and have seen a house that ticks all boxes.

We have a house owned outright in Ireland, worth comfortably 3 times, maybe 4 times the value of the Spanish property.

Ultimately we'd like to sell Irish house, downsize here and put balance to Spanish property, but for various good reasons we'd prefer to wait 5 years before we do this.

Problem is my salary would not qualify for necessary mortgage on Spanish property now. Anybody know of any shorter term bridging finance for this sort of scenario?

I.e short term IO secured on Irish house paid off within 6 years from sales proceeds of that house?

Part remortgage Irish house with Irish bank/BS/CU, buy Spanish house for straight cash, rent Spanish house when living here to help pay additional mortgage.

I approached BoI a few years ago casually about equity release.

They said it could only be done for renovations, and needed all sorts of proof (before, during and after) that the funds were used for renovations.

I would have said no as equity release for foreign property purchase was the stuff of the Celtic Tiger era but he seems to be making a comeback very quickly so worth asking a few banks probably.

If the BoI objection is supported by Central Bank directives, you are also refusable at CUs.
If there's no explicit CB directive, then you've got to explain your exact circumstances, i.e. Spanish wife wanting to be near her aging parents, etc.
You say Spanish banks won't allow your Irish salary for mortgage application purposes ?
I suppose the same financial xenophobia apply to your Irish assets as security for the Spanish mortgage.
Sorry I have no immediate ideas on this crux.

Last edited:
Back