Mortgage & Deposit for First Time Buyers

Bearty

Hi All,

I wonder if anybody can help in generating ideas re the best mortgage to go for given our situation.

We are both in our early 20’s and earn €66k (between us L ! ) per annum and are looking at buying our first home together (probably a 2 bed second hand apartment) in Dublin. Due to personal circumstances we really would prefer to do this in the next couple of months which obviously causes a lot of problems re raising deposits etc.

We have gotten approval in principle from various different lenders for both 100% mortgages & have had a good offer from ESB for a 95% mortgage of € 350K (although we only intend spending up to €320k). The 100% mortgage offers were for quite low amounts due to two new car loans we have taken out earlier this year for €15k & € 18K each (repayments are €296 & € 270 respectively per month).

We are faced with choosing from one of the following options & I would appreciate any opinions that anybody may have or ideas re. further options for us:

1. If we sell one of our cars (as my partner also has a company van) we can clear the €18K loan & avail of a 100% mortgage of € 324K however we are quite reluctant to do this as we only have them such a short while & it will be quite difficult & time consuming to sell them privately due to the value of them (my father has a merc, in immaculate condition, lovely car etc worth approx. €15K sitting in the front garden for months now, nobody wants to spend so much on a private sale for obvious reasons!)
2. A mortgage advisor has suggested we get a family member to clear one car loan so that we can avail of €324K 100% mortgage & after we draw down the mortgage to re-apply for the loan & pay back that family member. However, what is the likelihood that we are refused this loan due to our new mortgage commitment? Making monthly repayments on both car loans & a mortgage is not that big an issue as we both have the option to do nixers & “off the books” overtime etc but the bank will obviously not recognise this when deciding whether or not to grant a loan.
3. We could avail of the 95% mortgage but will need to raise a deposit of €16K. We both have credit union accounts with very little in them at the moment but we will have approx €4K that we can lodge into them in the coming two months & use this to avail of a loan for €16K ( I have spoken with my CU & they seem to think €2500 will be enough to raise €16K finance). However, this will leave us in a situation were we are repaying two car loans, a mortgage & a credit union loan which would be a bit of a burden!! We would probably need to consider a top up mortgage in a year to clear the CU loan (which would really make our mortgage close to 100% anyway but we keep both cars & don’t need to approach family members for a loan as described in no.2 above) but with the uncertainty within the market at the moment this may not be a wise decision as we don’t intend staying in the apartment long term anyway (3-5yrs) as we will see significant rises in our salary in 2-3 years time.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as my head is just fried at this stage!!!!

Thanks a million!
B

Well it seems madness to me!
If you are in your early twenties, why not save for a few years.
Clear your loans and get a deposit together, its not like we are in a rising market like a few years back.

If you are both able to earn more through nixers why not save through that for a while?

Take newkid30's advice. A mortgage of €320k will cost you nearly €1700 a month, if you feel you can afford this along with your 2 existing loans then why not put that money towards getting them cleared quicker and saving a bit each month also. In a couple of years you will find yourselves in a much better position - no loans, savings, higher salaries and still have FTB status.

I'd agree with all the advice above.

We would probably need to consider a top up mortgage in a year to clear the CU loan (which would really make our mortgage close to 100% anyway

You can't assume that you'll get a top-up mortgage in a year's time. A few year's back when property values were rising unstoppably this was a common practice - borrow the maximum % as a mortgage with an unsecured loan on the side, wait for a year until your property value had risen by 15% or whatever and then re-mortgage or top-up to clear the unsecured loan.

But if your property doesn't rise in value you won't have enough equity in the property to clear the unsecured loan. Most lenders won't re-mortgage or top up beyond 92% of the property value - 100% is definitely only the preserve of purchases.

Liam D. Ferguson
www.ferga.com

Bearty, I agree with the sentiments of the posters so far. I'd think that it's unwise to commit to 100% mortgage at this juncture. And realistically it would be best to get yourselves a cushion of some savings before you leap in. A mortgage is very long term - it could be a case of mortgage in haste and repent at leisure :( On the basis of the sums above €1700/month equates to €20400 per annum. That's a significant chunk out of your gross income, not including utilities, furniture and having a life! If I were you I'd start putting that much away between you on a monthly basis and bide my time. Best of luck.

Hi myself and my boyfrien are looking to get a morgage.I can not apply with him for personal reasons.He would have a deposit of 20,000 and has no loans.Just wondering would he get a morgage on his own does anybody have any ideas.

Hi myself and my boyfrien are looking to get a morgage.I can not apply with him for personal reasons.He would have a deposit of 20,000 and has no loans.Just wondering would he get a morgage on his own does anybody have any ideas.

Assuming he has sufficient earnings, then there should be no reason why he can't get a mortgage on his own.

Thanks Hel N.He also applied to fingal for affordable housing last November. Thought we would try the bank to see if it comes through any quicker.Thanks Again.

Bearty, I agree with the sentiments of the posters so far. I'd think that it's unwise to commit to 100% mortgage at this juncture. And realistically it would be best to get yourselves a cushion of some savings before you leap in. A mortgage is very long term - it could be a case of mortgage in haste and repent at leisure :( On the basis of the sums above €1700/month equates to €20400 per annum. That's a significant chunk out of your gross income, not including utilities, furniture and having a life! If I were you I'd start putting that much away between you on a monthly basis and bide my time. Best of luck.

Remember also that it will cost you €20400 per annum out of your income but with current interest rates you'll be paying around 5% in interest. That means 5% of 324,000 is around €16,200 in interest and only around €4,000 of the house in the first year. So on year 2, your mortgage will be 320,000. Interest rates may still go up. House prices are not going to rise as much anymore. Save first, and keep an eye on the market!

Back