Mortgage after divorce with equity in house

dubdeb

Hi,

Wondering if anybody can advise on how best to arrange a mortgage after divorce when I have a 25% share that I cannot access for 3 years while the ex has remarried and is living in the family home. All children except one are adults and working full-time, the only one in education is 18 but still in training.

I am mid-50s and have been divorced for a decade but this is preventing me move on and get my own home, with each year the time I can actually pay off a mortgage decreases.

The ex won't communicate, I did write to them and it was ignored and currently they have 5 cars parked outside and a holiday home while I remain in rented accommodation.

Have spoken with a solicitor and it's going to cost approx 8k to go before court to try force the sale and all it takes is for the 18yr old to extend the time in college and that's money down the drain before I go do it again in a few years.

Is it likely a bank would entertain my share in the house when considering me for a mortgage if I was try to go for it now anyway?

Really frustrating that the adult who has to leave the family home can't move on until the controlling ex they left finally sets them free even after 10 years.

All advice welcome

Very tough. But, no the bank won't be remotely interested in your 25%.

Why do you think that you will get 25% in three years? Have they agreed to sell when the child is 21? Why do you think that they will honour that agreement?

Are you trying to force the sale now or are you trying to force them to come up with the 25% now?

Have they any obligation to pay you now?

If they have no obligation, then there is no point in going to court.

Brendan

By the way, is there a mortgage on the house?

If so, you are still liable for the mortgage, even if your ex is paying it on time. That is another barrier to you getting a mortgage in your own name.

Brendan

Back