Money worry, what do you think will happen after HSE recruitment freeze ends?

LucyTru

Hi all. I'm working in the HSE and as is common knowledge the lower grades are badly paid and I happen to be there. My hope was to go up a grade or two as quickly as I could (I have the experience) but along came thr recruitment freeze. I'm struggling financially with a hundred euros per week approximately taken from my wages in tax. I have a partner and children. My question is when the freeze lift do you think there will be more opportunities available? I think there might as many positions have been left unfilled since the freeze and indeed before it. Also many have left the HSE especially the younger generation. If the freeze lifts and that isn't the case then I will definitely have to consider a position in another organisation. What are people's views, theories, predictions? I would love to hear.

Do you keep an eye on publicjobs.ie and compare the salaries?

One would have to wonder how often this type of thing could happen in HSE if they exceed their budgets again. From what I have read of late HSE don't have a good reputation as an employer so perhaps something in public service might be a better idea if the salary suits you.

What has usually happened, in my experience, is that the recruitment freeze causes shortages in key positions in mid and higher level grades. Eventually, some/many of these are plugged by temporary acting up which leads, often, to permanent upgrading by length of time in the higher grade, usually 2 years. This, in turn, leads to further shortages at ground level and the freeze will be eased to fill these and remaining higher level vacancies. So, if you hang on, you could advance relatively rapidly.

What has usually happened, in my experience, is that the recruitment freeze causes shortages in key positions in mid and higher level grades. Eventually, some/many of these are plugged by temporary acting up which leads, often, to permanent upgrading by length of time in the higher grade, usually 2 years. This, in turn, leads to further shortages at ground level and the freeze will be eased to fill these and remaining higher level vacancies. So, if you hang on, you could advance relatively rapidly.
Thank you for the advice. There are rumours freeze will end soon. I am going to express interest to move up, act up or do whatever it takes and if that doesn't work I will definitely look at other sectors as I am also on two other panels.

Back