Mondeo V MAzda 6

collieb

Considering going for a 03 in this range and these are the two that are picking my fancy at the moment. WAs considringa Laguna but reported reliability problems putting me off. Any thoughts on Mondeo v Mazda 6?

I seen in other posts in this forum that if considering Mondeo should ideally go for a 2 litre TDCDi Zetec, but that pushes the price up a good bit cmpared to the 1.8 LX, probably above the average price for the Mazda 6. I'm not that big into performance really, I like the car and a 1.8 seems perfectly adequate for a car that size, so is it really worth splashing out for the TDCDi Zetec?

collieb said:
Considering going for a 03 in this range and these are the two that are picking my fancy at the moment. WAs considringa Laguna but reported reliability problems putting me off. Any thoughts on Mondeo v Mazda 6?

I seen in other posts in this forum that if considering Mondeo should ideally go for a 2 litre TDCDi Zetec, but that pushes the price up a good bit cmpared to the 1.8 LX, probably above the average price for the Mazda 6. I'm not that big into performance really, I like the car and a 1.8 seems perfectly adequate for a car that size, so is it really worth splashing out for the TDCDi Zetec?

the mondeos are superb.fords nowadays are fab and i have driven such on many occasions with a big happy:D

I see a 03 TDCDi Zetec on Ebay at the moment with bid starting at 11,500, and a buy it now for 13,500. Seems good value compared to whats on CBG (provided it checks out with mechanic check etc..), though would have to factor in loss of trade in value...dont know what my chances of selling a 96 Megane privately are!!

Ford now own Mazda you can't loose really since Mazda are now using Ford engines and parts. I think they are both good looking cars and well built comes down to taste really I'm with the Mondeo on this one.

Good Luck ;)

DOBBER22 said:
Ford now own Mazda you can't loose really since Mazda are now using Ford engines and parts. I think they are both good looking cars and well built comes down to taste really I'm with the Mondeo on this one.

Good Luck ;)

:confused: never heard of that but could be wrong.

colliebI see a 03 TDCDi Zetec on Ebay at the moment with bid starting at 11,500, and a buy it now for 13,500. Seems good value compared to whats on CBG (provided it checks out with mechanic check etc..), though would have to factor in loss of trade in value...dont know what my chances of selling a 96 Megane privately are!!

a renault........check out the arguement we had onrover this morning.renaults are not the worst but reliability is not the best

X-Man said:
:confused: never heard of that but could be wrong.

colliebI see a 03 TDCDi Zetec on Ebay at the moment with bid starting at 11,500, and a buy it now for 13,500. Seems good value compared to whats on CBG (provided it checks out with mechanic check etc..), though would have to factor in loss of trade in value...dont know what my chances of selling a 96 Megane privately are!!

a renault........check out the arguement we had onrover this morning.renaults are not the worst but reliability is not the best

Ford owns:

-Aston Martin
-Ford
-Jaguar
-Land Rover (bought from BMW)
-Lincoln
-Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
-Mercury
-Volvo cars

Looks like Ford owns 1/3 of Mazda ;) watching Top Gear this week they advised that the Mazda 3 was powered by the same engine in the new Focus but was cheaper to buy the Focus got a better rating though

DOBBER22 said:
Ford owns:

-Aston Martin
-Ford
-Jaguar
-Land Rover (bought from BMW)
-Lincoln
-Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
-Mercury
-Volvo cars

Looks like Ford owns 1/3 of Mazda ;) watching Top Gear this week they advised that the Mazda 3 was powered by the same engine in the new Focus but was cheaper to buy the Focus got a better rating though

WOW! they even own volvo:eek:

Mondeo's seem to depreciate very quickly. Im looking in the same range at the moment (albeit a bit older) and the 2000/2001 Mondeos are incredibly cheap. Unless Im missing some defect (which other more knowledgeable types might explain) it seems to be a simple case of them not holding their value.

Mininv said:
Mondeo's seem to depreciate very quickly. Im looking in the same range at the moment (albeit a bit older) and the 2000/2001 Mondeos are incredibly cheap. Unless Im missing some defect (which other more knowledgeable types might explain) it seems to be a simple case of them not holding their value.

They never did hold their value possibly due to problems with older models

Most cars the cops use never did hold their value for some strange reason ie: hillman,renos,rovers,fiats,mondaos and now skodas, odd? Personally dont like ford,nissan,reno,crysler,opel or british leyland,had experience of most of thies, HOW MAD IS THAT?.
But mondeo is nice to drive,

Mininv said:

They depreciate quickly from new, but most cars of this class do likewise. Vectras, 407's and Lagunas are worse, and a Citroen C5 is worst.

Depreciation flattens out after 2 or 3 years, and if you can find a really good clean Mondeo (plenty out here to choose from) you can buy a really good motor for reasonable money. The 2.0 130bhp Zetec TDCI is the pick of the bunch, but the 1.8 petrol 125bhp Zetec is sweet also, and cheaper again.

p.s. The Mondeo's handling is reckoned to be the best in it's class. A good drivers car.

mondeo and mazda 6 are best suited to irish roads cos of suspension....many continental cars are designed for continental roads e.g. opel had to re-do the vectra's suspension to suit british roads. For frugality especially in today's high oil price climate I would go for the diesel mondeo (zetec with common rail) will save u $$$ over course of ownership. Also diesels depreciate less than (especially 1.8L) petrols. The mazda 6 diesel is rare and does'nt use the proper ford diesel engine. (PS this engine is as developed by pugeot, who make the worlds best diesel engines, pity about the cars tho). The car is slightly boring but I believe bext bang for the buck going in your target area.

Having said that the early common rails (03 era) were problematic, does anyone know if they have got their act together?

Folks,

Thaks for the comments. Took the 03 Mondeo TDCDi Zetec for a test drive and really liked it. Decided to go for it at 13,000, just thought it was too good a baragin at that price. The guy was selling it privately cos garage would only give him 13.5 on a trade in (and then sell it for 17k!!), but if he sold it privately he could get 1500 off the price of a new car for paying cash! so its a win win situation me thinks!

Back