Monaco - Monte Carlo GP

A

Azzuri

Not to rub it in, but I've managed to get myself and Mrs Az to the Grand Prix in Monte Carlo this weekend:

Has anyone been, and any recommendations for Cannes/Nice/Cote d'Azur etc?

Would dearly love to make the most of the full time there.

Many thanks

Az

I am very, very jealous. Havent done this myself but apparently if you fly into Nice, you can arrange a helicopter transfer to Monte Carlo- its not too expensive- and what a treat! Saw it on the tele one time- it was quoted at around 100 euro but that was at least a year ago. If you do this, could you please post back about how much it was and whether it was good?
There are boat tours operating all the time in the harbour of Monte Carlo which are lovely. A short drive away is Roque Brune Cap Martin ( spelling of this could be dodgy) which has a lovely old village, castle etc to explore- but lots of steps. And beyond that again is Menton, which has a lovely market to wander through, and a beach all along the sea front with restaurants all along it- very inexpensive- mmmm just thinking about a big bowl of Moules Frites and a bottle of wine on the sea front. Also in Menton there are lots of shops in the cobbled streets to explore, with little cafes in the squares and obviously much more affordable than the Hermes, Prada, Dior that you'll find in Monte Carlo. I absolutely loved the area, and am planning to go back asap.

Monaco or bust

Many thanks, Vanilla.

Sounds fantastic. Transfers already sorted, so might miss out on the helicopter, but will check details.

Off first thing in the a.m.

Will let you know upon return.

A.

Monaco

Well, made it back from Monaco/Monte Carlo/Nice/Cannes.

Had to be dragged screaming onto the plane to come home.

I have never seen such wealth in all my natural born. Unfathomable.

Re Monaco: beautiful setting, some remarkable buildings, but a lot of 1960s/70s monstrosities as well. Architecturally (and socially) not a patch on Prague.

Most surprising thing was the price...

Even in the most stunning plaza, overlooking the marina and drinking beer/wine with full waiter service; we never paid more than €6 for a pint.

It costs almost as much in Dublin (€5.50 at last count).
Food was less than Dublin prices, generally. Even with the crowds for the Grand Prix, there was no obvious sign of inflated pricing.

It just pisses me off more and more to be coming back here where we just shrug and hand over the money, unquestioningly.

No wonder they all drive Maseratis in MC!

Will definitely go back and take in more of the cote d'azur though. Perhaps when it's less crowded.

Re: Monaco

Azzuri, sounds like a great trip, how much did this set you back (not including gift purchases).

Monaco

Managed to get a deal through an agency in Ranelagh, Dublin called the Travel Department.

All-in package included return charter flights to Nice, coach transfer to and from 3-star apartment accommodation outside Nice for three nights, breakfasts, general admission tickets to the qualifying on Sat, race on Sun.

All we had to pay for was travel from apartment to Monte Carlo. €10 return on a first-class double-decker train.

Could not fault it at all.

As for price, I must admit I don't know the face value of the deal, as it was obtained through a contact at the last minute...

Back