Minimum floor to ceiling height : Building a one storey extension to rear of semi-d

Carterlee

Hi,
We are building a one storey extension to rear of semi-d.
Originally the roof was going to be slanted (so the water would run off it) but now the builder has put it flat and used a new rubber on the flat roof. Builder saying new technically, doesn’t need the water to run off it and will last 50 years. Also was told the height would match our dining area (2.4m). Builder changed the slanted roof to flat without telling us and we had to bring it to his attention then he explained its ok. Also noticed this evening the height is now 2.2m. Again we texted him and he said this is fine. Its within the building regulations.

Can anyone confirm what the minimum floor to ceiling height for a room in Ireland should be?

Thank you!

I’m fairly certain it’s 2.4 meters but even if it’s not I would not be happy with that at all. No reason to make it so low. Most single story extensions have a higher ceiling - 2.7 or more - because they can do that with no rooms above and it makes the space so much more pleasant. No way I’d be paying the builder until he gets it fixed.

Thanks Aliwag! Checked with local county council planning dept. and surveyor and it does need to be 2.4m. Only exception is bay window or original beam in the roof or a door way then can be 2.1m.

Hi in terms of roof is it felt rolled . Thorch on or felt shingles? if so require some fall .if its fibre glass or rubber such as hertalan or epdm then flat roofing is perfectly fine and do have a long life span we fit alot . .with ceiling height it may be a factor of what the build is used for or there may be other restrictions such as external heights or ties to an existing build but maybe chat to your builder on that .hopefully was helpful on roof aspect .

Back