Microcement/Microtopping Floors Experience

Bubblishiss

Hello,

We are at the point where we are looking at flooring options for our new build and wondering what people’s experience is of having microcement or microtopping done as an alternative to tiling, laminates, etc? The slab is poured so a full polished floor is not an option.

We’ve been looking at the likes of PMac for microtopping and Stone Seal for the SIB floor but being quoted close to €300/m2 including vat by some vendors.

Even experience with these vendors would be great.

Many Thanks.

Hi Bubblishiss,

Am in exactly the same boat as yourself. Did you go with any of these options and if so what was your experience?

We're interested in a SIB floor also, or any solution which gives a light/white colour with some fleck, but finding even finding vendors is an issue. Our floor is about 50m2 so too small for Stone Seal; PMAC said they don't do a floor like this and were wary of SIB; SPCS are out the door and won't quote. Don't have any other options really. Looking at falling back on engineered wood flooring at this stage.

Any tips/experience/advice much appreciated!
Many thanks.

Hi lebide,

We are going with tiles instead, there are some really nice concrete style tiles porcelain rectified so sharp lines, that you can get with a fleck, vein or terrazzo, also with some warmer tones to reduce the coldness.

From my limited contact, the overall feeling I got from vendors was a small bit full of notions and very very difficult to contact which is a risk for customer service. It is a great commercial option so they seem more interested in larger commercial projects, which is fine and understandable, but it means the customer service is different due to the surface areas involved. They may say it was us that had notions but our entire house itself is costing less per square meter to build than the quotes for a thin finishing surface so I cannot justify it.
Another concern for me is options and risks of cracking and from what I have read about cracking, subsequent warranties and the likes, I’m not sure day to day in a house suits some of the options.
It seems where people have had cracks, the repair options are limited, e.g patching where the stretch exceeds the elastic limit of the coating, etc, so we feel the risk is too high for us, considering our area is L-shaped which could be vulnerable to crack, but I may be wrong.
The advantage of tile is they can be laid in the direction of the high risk lines so in the event of a crack, it will occur on the grout line and can be refilled without impacting the look. I can refill a grout line hope this helps.

Back