MIBI (Motor Insurance Bureau) and high court

And you complain about the OP not answering questions. :)

I know I'll regret this, but what details has the OP supplied?

He was in an accident before 31st March 2004 while driving without insurance that left him with serious injuries - have I missed anything?

he's left out the most important part which other posters incl MF1 have tried to get out of him.........who was at fault for the accident?

My question is, why do you need any of that? All the MIBI agreement exclusion seems to need is that there isn't any valid policy covering the use of the vehicle that the injured party was in etc. (I can't access the exact text at the moment). From my reading of the MIBI, any issue of liability or fault, isn't required. Perhaps I'm wrong, and maybe someone who has read it and understands it could clarify. On a side issue I wonder how the exclusion effects passengers injured in uninsured vehicles. It would seem to exclude them also. I'd have to re-read it.

Its an interesting topic. I've seen a few thread about similar issues where people drive other peoples car assuming they are covered either by their own policy or that of the car owners. But subsequently it transpires that they are not covered. I know I have had policy's in the past that did not have 3rd party cover for driving other vehicles even though I would expect it as standard these days.

what i think you're overlooking is that the MIBI is in effect the second step in such a process following an accident
first step is who is at fault
then once you have identified who is at fault you pursue them or their insurance company, or if you discover that they are uninsured then you have recourse to the MIBI, the existence of the MIBI does not remove the need for the first step above

Again from reading the MIBI I thought you identify any other insurance that may cover the situation and claim on that before going to the MIBI. Where in the MIBI does it specifically say you must establish liability first? I thought it said you can claim without any admission of liability.

You could be right, I'm just looking for clarification.

Back