Medical Card

passat

I have been with my doctor as a private patient for 20 years. I have now decided to apply for a GP/Medical card and my doctor has informed me that he cannot take me onn as a medical card patient the reason being that he is full up with medical card patients, surely after being a private patient for all these years that seems very unfair. Can he really do this legally? any replies would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Is he part of a practice, is there more than him working from this Surgery? I have heard of this happening before but the person in question actually got another Doctor within the Practice to fill in the Application Form, however he still gets to see his old Doctor, in his case it was a formality.

I'm not sure of the in's and out's but perhaps there is a 'cap' on the amount of Medical Card Holders each Doctor can be paid for and this is what he actually meant.

Yes there are 2 doctors in the practice and when one is busy i sometimes see the other doctor both doctors are excellent and very good at their job.

that happened to me a long time ago, i didn't know what to do, there was no getting around them, like yourself he was our family doctor for twenty years, in the end i found a doctor that would take me and i would'nt change him for the world he's been our family doctor 15 years now

Passat, GPs generally have no more than 2000 Primary Care Re-imbursement Service patients - this includes medical card and GP visit card holders, so it's possilbe that your GP / practice list may be full.

As a matter of interest, if you receive 3 refusals from GPs to be added to their list, the HSE will assign you a GP.

Back