Med1 - can I claim medical expenses incurred abroad

Discussion in 'Tax' started by emul, Jul 7, 2007.

1. emul

emul Frequent Poster

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
    Mod's maybe this should be in Welfare and state benefit as I see similar issues there

I need to have an MRI and the sooner the better. I am with Quinn but it will still take 4-5 weeks to have done privately. I have the option of going to Germany and getting it done there. Can I claim back foreign medical expenses on a Med1?
    It appears from this form http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/revguide/healthexpenses.htm that I can probably claim for the MRI but not the travel or accommodation
    "Reasonable travelling & accommodation expenses if qualifying health care is only available outside Ireland"
    as I could get MRI here.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Eoin

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  2. polar

polar Frequent Poster

Yes, you can claim for medical procedures performed abroad. I got my eyes lasered in the UK and the Revenue accepted this. In fact, I was advised by a member of the Revenue staff about it and he had claimed the relief for his own foreign laser operation. I don't see why an MRI would be any different.

3. emul

emul Frequent Poster

Polar

Thanks for middle of the night response. Did you also claim travel and acc?

Eoin

4. polar

polar Frequent Poster

Hi emul,

No, you can't claim for travel and expenses, as the procedure IS available in Ireland - you can only claim if you are travelling for a procedure not available in the State.

Check the full list of conditions as outlined by the Revenue Commissioners here.