Maximum allowable lump sum top up of executive pension in a given year?

irishnature77

Hello,

I am the director (aged 45) of a ltd company where I am the sole employee. I contribute to a company executive pension via the company each month claiming the available tax relief allowed by Revenue. The company year end is approaching and I wanted to know if I could top up my pension with excess company cash, claiming the same tax relief, and if yes, how do I calculate what is the maximum allowable under current revenue/pension rules. My previous understanding is that one can make an annual company lump sum contribution to your pension scheme up to the amount paid by the regular premium? I just wanted to be sure before doing so.

Hope that makes sense!

Many thanks

The rules changed in January

The following is a brief summary of the Finance Act as it relates to Pension Contributions in 2023.

An Employer contribution to a PRSA is no longer a Benefit in Kind (BIK) for an employee

Translation: That gets rid of an employer contribution to a PRSA being restricted by age related limits

It also means that employee contributions to PRSAs aren’t restricted by any employer contribution paid which was the case up to now – so also allows employees to contribute more and claim tax relief via a PRSA

However, the legislation does not restrict the level of BIK Free employer PRSA contributions in any way and these are not based on salary/service etc as we are used to in occupational pension schemes which are subject to Revenue maximum funding rules.

Translation: An employer can pay as much as they like into a PRSA without reference to either salary or service of the employee.

Tax relief on all employer PRSA contributions can be claimed in the accounting period in which it is paid unlike a special contribution to an occupational pension where the tax relief is spread forward over 5 years.

So now an employer can make any contribution to a PRSA they wish without limit.

Employees still need to consider the overall Standard Fund Threshold of €2 Million above which benefits are taxed at a punitive tax rate of 71%.

However, note that a PRSA can be "split" allowing a "good" fund of €2m and a "bad" fund above €2m. Note the bad fund can be deferred to age 75 and death before retirement is not a benefit crystalisation event for the purposes of applying the excess tax above the SFT.

Translation: just leave the excess to the family as a tax efficient inheritance

Therefore, not only can an employer now make an unlimited contribution to a PRSA they can also claim tax relief in the accounting period in which its paid

These rules are now hardwired in to current legislation

They apply to employees and 20% Directors. They also apply to 20% Directors of Investment Companies.

Self Employed Sole Traders or Partnerships can pay a BIK free employer PRSA contribution for an employee and this can include adult children (over 18) who can be put onto payroll.

The contribution to a Revenue approved pension, such as a PRSA, is not subject to CAT even where there is a family relationship between the parties. Therefore contributions can be made to a child's pension without impacting the CAT A exempt amounts.

Revenue's position on salary sacrifice still needs to be considered and should not be overlooked when making an employer contribution. Extra employer payments in addition to existing remuneration are allowable but an employee reducing their salary to make the payment will be caught by the salary sacrifice provisions.

An employer can contribute to an occupational scheme and a PRSA at the same time for the same employee.

Excessive remuneration

In dealing with excessive remuneration, the Revenue practice note covering remuneration to connected parties in a close company denies a tax deduction to the company – it does not prevent the payment being made i.e. no prohibition applies to payments to a PRSA.

The denial of relief for excessive remuneration takes place under the “wholly and exclusively” test in s81 – this section doesn’t apply to PRSA contributions.

The Revenue Pensions Manual makes no mention of restrictions applying under the excessive remuneration rules.

In fact in paragraph 24.3 it has been amended to now expressly state: “There is no limit on employer contributions to an employee’s PRSA. However, the overall standard fund threshold for an individual of €2m applies.”

For the sake of completeness we also considered the position of a close company making a pension contribution to an adult child and the potential impact on CAT.

A Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT) exemption applies to retirement benefits, redundancy payments or pension payments paid to you by your employer.

The exemption will not apply to a payment where:

1) you are related to your employer, or your employer is a private company in which you have control
2) the payment is not made under a Revenue approved scheme
and
3) Revenue decide that, in the circumstances of the case, the payment is excessive.

Where the employee is a relative of the employer or the employer is a private company controlled by the employee within the meaning of CATCA 2003 s 27 (see Chapter 6 Section6.5.7), the exemption will not apply if the payment is not made under a Revenue approved scheme and is considered by the Revenue Commissioners to be excessive having regard to all the circumstances of the case.”

Marc Westlake CFP, TEP, APFS, QFA, EFP
Chartered, Certified and European Financial Planner
Registered Trust & Estate Practitioner
Everlake

The following is a brief summary of the Finance Act as it relates to Pension Contributions in 2023.

An Employer contribution to a PRSA is no longer a Benefit in Kind (BIK) for an employee

Translation: That gets rid of an employer contribution to a PRSA being restricted by age related limits

It also means that employee contributions to PRSAs aren’t restricted by any employer contribution paid which was the case up to now – so also allows employees to contribute more and claim tax relief via a PRSA

However, the legislation does not restrict the level of BIK Free employer PRSA contributions in any way and these are not based on salary/service etc as we are used to in occupational pension schemes which are subject to Revenue maximum funding rules.

Translation: An employer can pay as much as they like into a PRSA without reference to either salary or service of the employee.

Tax relief on all employer PRSA contributions can be claimed in the accounting period in which it is paid unlike a special contribution to an occupational pension where the tax relief is spread forward over 5 years.

Employees still need to consider the overall Standard Fund Threshold of €2 Million above which benefits are taxed at a punitive tax rate of 71%.

However, note that a PRSA can be "split" allowing a "good" fund of €2m and a "bad" fund above €2m. Note the bad fund can be deferred to age 75 and death before retirement is not a benefit crystalisation event for the purposes of applying the excess tax above the SFT.

Therefore, not only can an employer now make an unlimited contribution to a PRSA they can also claim tax relief in the accounting period in which its paid

They apply to employees and 20% Directors. They also apply to 20% Directors of Investment Companies.

Self Employed Sole Traders or Partnerships can pay a BIK free employer PRSA contribution for an employee and this can include adult children (over 18) who can be put onto payroll.

The contribution to a Revenue approved pension, such as a PRSA, is not subject to CAT even where there is a family relationship between the parties. Therefore contributions can be made to a child's pension without impacting the CAT A exempt amounts.

Revenue's position on salary sacrifice still needs to be considered and should not be overlooked when making an employer contribution. Extra employer payments in addition to existing remuneration are allowable but an employee reducing their salary to make the payment will be caught by the salary sacrifice provisions.

An employer can contribute to an occupational scheme and a PRSA at the same time for the same employee.

Excessive remuneration

In dealing with excessive remuneration, the Revenue practice note covering remuneration to connected parties in a close company denies a tax deduction to the company – it does not prevent the payment being made i.e. no prohibition applies to payments to a PRSA.

The denial of relief for excessive remuneration takes place under the “wholly and exclusively” test in s81 – this section doesn’t apply to PRSA contributions.

The Revenue Pensions Manual makes no mention of restrictions applying under the excessive remuneration rules.

In fact in paragraph 24.3 it has been amended to now expressly state: “There is no limit on employer contributions to an employee’s PRSA. However, the overall standard fund threshold for an individual of €2m applies.”

For the sake of completeness we also considered the position of a close company making a pension contribution to an adult child and the potential impact on CAT.

A Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT) exemption applies to retirement benefits, redundancy payments or pension payments paid to you by your employer.

1) you are related to your employer, or your employer is a private company in which you have control
and
3) Revenue decide that, in the circumstances of the case, the payment is excessive.

Where the employee is a relative of the employer or the employer is a private company controlled by the employee within the meaning of CATCA 2003 s 27 (see Chapter 6 Section6.5.7), the exemption will not apply if the payment is not made under a Revenue approved scheme and is considered by the Revenue Commissioners to be excessive having regard to all the circumstances of the case.”

Everlake
What does the Tax relief look like? Just that unlimited amounts can go into the pension tax free? Or are there further reliefs?

With my Zurich Exec pension I can ask the agent to do a maximum funding calculation and get a PDF that explains what I can contribute, what the company can contribute as regular contributions and what the company can contribute as special contributions for previous service. Suggest asking for one from your provider, it’s fairly bamboozling otherwise!

Last edited:
Funding limits are fairly generous and far above what most people can contribute. Use the calculator that Ger linked too.

If you have more money to invest that you are allowed to, start a PRSA for the overflow as there are no limits on annual contributions to PRSAs anymore.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Excessive remuneration

and

Everlake
Very interesting post - thank you.
I thought I heard that your fund is permitted to exceed €2m, to say €2.3m, if you are taking €500k lump sum. In that case, you just pay 20% on the 300k excess above the SFT. Is that based on the older rules?

I have a PRSA investment and am concerned about consequences if it is revalued and my employee fund and PRSA fund combined exceed the SFT. I understand I will lose tax relief on any future contributions; does my employer also stop getting tax relief?

Back