Mature Student Grant

jfk

I going back to college as a mature student and can anybody tell me what financial assistance is available. I have already completed a national diploma course in 2003 and I'm think this may effect my chance of getting a grant though.

I looked into this a couple of years ago but didn't go very far along in the process as it just wasn't looking financially viable for me. At that stage the information I had was mostly from UCD. They told me that as I had only done a diploma before and not a degree my tuition costs would be covered by the state. As a mature student with no income (and no parents/family home support) I would have been eligilble for a full maintenance grant as well which as far as I remember was (is?) about 6,000 euro or possibly less per year - I remember at the time realising it wouldn't quite cover even just my rent for a year so it must have been less than 6,000. They said I would have to contact Dun Laoghaire county council for that so you should probably contact your local council and VEC to see what you're eligible for.

www.oasis.gov.ie may have further information. Make full use of the services of whatever college you are going to - most have extensive adult/mature student services these days.

You apply to your local council for the grant. It depends on where you lived for the last few years. If you lived more than a certain distance away from the college you attend then you get more money. It isn't a lot but better than nought as they say. Its only available to full time students afaik so assume you are gonna be full time.

Be careful also. I had a friend who at 30 returned home after being made redundant (trying to save some of her redundancy to return to college). She was assessed as being a mature dependant student and so was viewed as having financial support from her parents - she had to give details of their income when applying for the grant. It really annoys me the way that you are never viewed as an indepentant adult if for any financial or other reason you return to live at home for a while.

Back