Maternity leave while off sick

Anitak

hi, I am currently off work sick with depression for the last year , I have just found out that I am pregnant, my employer pays my maternity leave, but becaise I am out sick I'm unsure whether they will pay it, I'm afraid to ring he as is it still only early days and I'd prefer my manager not knowing yet. Thanks

Firstly you will be entitled to the statutory payment from social welfare, so the question is whether your employer will top that up to bring you to full salary. The welfare amount is up to a maximum of 230 I think but is based on your earnings from a year or two ago. It's now taxable also.

I can't see why your employer would not pay provided it is in your contract or company policy and there are no exceptions to the rule in either of these eg having to work a certain period of time in the company, or having acceptable attendance levels.

Just an aside note.....if your sick leave means you are not being paid by your employer you may be eligible to reclaim tax credits through the revenue.

Good luck and best wishes.

Back