Making a moveable Rotary clothes line holder

sadie

Would it be possible to - get a large ceramic plant container from a garden centre, put the Rotary clothes line in it, and fill it up with cement? Then that container would be placed on one of those plant movers (with castors).
So it could be rolled to side of patio when not in use.

Pretty sure a decent wind would knock it over.

I use a couple of clothes horses; easy to lift in, washing and all, if the weather turns.

You know Sadie, you set me thinking. But, I agree with Thirsty. I suppose it all depends on the amount of washing you need to be dried.

Try this:- You can buy retracting clothes lines in most good DIY stores which you extend from one wall to another. When the line is not in use you simply unhitch the extendable wire and it recoils into the original box attached to the first wall.

Alternatively, you can buy a metal 5 or 6 bar clothes line; screw it to a wall and when not in use just push in the accordian type metal bars to create space.

I guess if it had been that easy we'd all be doing it. Even if the container was wider at the bottom...I guess even very light parasols can tip over a very heavy weighted stand. Thinking about it, clothes are like sails - with the wind inside them they are a mighty force.
Back to the drawing board then...

It can be done (we've done it), but what I used was a very wide based parasol base. This was plastic (aldi/lidl if I remember correctly), and filled with rocks. The base is about two foot wide, and needs to be pretty heavy, so heavy that it can be slid around the patio, but not lifted.

but it was worth the effort, - very handy to have .

I think you'd be better sinking a receiver for the rotary clothes line wherever suits in the patio and concreting around that. Use a disc to cover it when not in use. That way the rotary line can be easily lifted and stored in the corner of a shed and you're not left with a great lump of concrete on the patio. The weight required to stabilise one of those lines might end up damaging your patio over time unless very well installed.

My brother made an easily movable base for a rotary line by filling an old tyre with concrete - I'm guessing he put a piece of wood to make a 'bottom' but it's really easy to roll it out of the way and they live on the top of a very windy hill and it has never fallen over. Sorry he doesn't live near me otherwise I'd take a photo for you.

Back