Major window quote differences

Builder

I have just rec. 4 quotes for PVC windows and doors. 2 quotes are around €11000 and the other 2 are €15000. Any ideas why such a big price difference. I know one of the dearer quotes has toughened glass in 3 windows and the conservatory windows are laminated. Would these two items along make up such a big price difference.

Also any advise what would be the best type of door to fit in a new house. I live close by the sea and it can get stormy. Some people have advised that both Hardwood and PVC doors can warp. I had thought about a Hardwood door because I dont like the discolouration which takes place in the white panel of PVC doors. Any advice greatly apprec.

We had three quotes for windows and doors and they varied by over five grand, Senator being the most expensive.
The other two were very similiar to each other. Looking at the Senator windows they seem to have stronger working parts ie locks , handles etc.
Maybe this makes them more expensive.
All the quotes I had were for K glass.

All I can advise you (on the basis of personal experience ) is to make sure you are comparing like with like. The quotes I got to build a house about seven years ago varied by 60 k. Mind you that's peanuts - those tendering for the Gorey Arklow bypass showed prices ranging between 90 and 120 million :)

Personally, I wood :) go for the hardwood door. Warping should not be a problem if the door is properly fitted and maintained, especially with at LEAST 3 coats of Yacht varnish. Give 1 or 2 coats per year after that, as your area seems more exposed to the elements than most. Well maintained wooden doors look really well too.

I live in Swords, and used 'Starline' for our PVC windows. They were very reasonable, efficient and even cleaned up all the mess and took away the old windows.
I got a hardwood door from the Door Store.

I have no connection with either 'Starline' or 'The Door Store'.

Back