Made redundant- still owed salary

V

VenoBlanch

Hi guys,

Everyone in our company was made redundant about a month ago. Because the company were broke, we will only get the statutory minimum - which is fine.

The trouble is, the company still owe me about 3-4 weeks salary (others are owed 8 weeks).

When the announcement was made, the acting CEO assured us that we would all be paid, once all of the company's clients had paid up(the company was owed about 50K and the wages were about 30K). He assured us that he would be in the office every day until everyone was paid.

We were all pessimistic about the company receiving money from clients as the company had shut up shop abruptly, leaving them in the lurch. The CEO stopped coming to the office about a week later. Then the locks were changed and he hasn't been returning his calls.

I'm just wondering how I can extract my money in a civilised, legal manner - is this possible?Or should I just put it down to bad debt?(I don't want to - on principle)

Thanks kindly in advance

There is DETE scheme which guarantees payment of final salaries in such circumstances. It will take a while to process the claim, but you should get your money eventually. Follow Clubman's link above for more details.

Are you sure that you're not thinking of the work of the DETE Redundancy Recoveries Section which, as I understand it, pays out statutory redundancy to employees made redundant but whose employers don't meet their statutory redundancy payments obligations? I never heard of a more general scheme covering outstanding salary payments and would find it surprising if such a scheme existed that did not limit the amount that might be paid out (e.g. to the minimum wage or what would be paid on social welfare or something like that). If you have specific information about such a scheme then please post a link. Thanks.

There is a scheme that covers salary payment for minimum notice periods. I benefited from this scheme personally (though it was 20 years ago now).

Interesting. If you have any links to information on that scheme I'd be interested in them. Thanks.

Thanks for that. I thought that you mean a general salary payments scheme where the company welched on paying salaries but did not necessarily go bust.

Hi guys,

I still haven't received my outstanding salary.

The company hasn't yet gone into liquidation. I'm told that if it did, then us employees could get our salary from some reserve fund - is this correct?

Why would a company choose not to liquidate?(Sorry for the stupid questions) Is it because the directors would be personally liable to pay debtors, should insufficient cash be raised from the liquidatioon?(the company has no assets of worth).

At the moment, all of us ex-employees are organising and doing the following:

1) A couple of us are putting pressure on Revenue to have a liquidator appointed(because revenue are also owed a lot) - is this a good idea?

2)I've been advised by a counsellor to get some "legal stationary" and something called a "summary judgement civil summons". What is this and how do I go about it?

Entemp said that because the company didn't liquidate we'd probably have to get a solicitor - and that our chances of getting the money back was slim.I'm astonished that there's seemingly no protection for employees in cases like this.

What do you think of our chances?

Sorry again for the naivety - I just want to do everything I can to get back at these crooks.

I hired a member of staff from a company that went into liquidation, she has a claim with the liquidator for outstanding wages (and we have one for outstanding debt) it has being going on for over two years and we are looking at getting 25c for every €1.

If the company goes into liquidation the first people to get paid are the liquidators and the revenue, the rest of the creditors fight for the scraps, if they company goes to liquidation dont expect the full salary tbh

Back